97 Yukon GT won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randazz0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whatsup guys, I'm completely new to using forums and what not. Never done it a day in my life but I'm looking for some advice if someone wouldn't mind throwing some my way. I recently just got a 97 2door from a friend of mine who had it sitting in his garage for a year or so and I can't get the damn thing to start.

Being honest this is going to be a long term project for me to learn with, I'm pretty mechanically inclined but in no shape or form an ace mechanic, mostly just a kid with a pretty flexible b5udget who wants to learn as much as I can

I've done the fuel pump, because at first I could tell that the old one was shot it wouldn't start for the life of it. I've tried adding new gas and octane boost to it but for some reason it wants to crank but won't turn over. I've checked for spark the starter and all of the above. But I cannot even get it to start with starting fluid in the throttle body. I purged a little gas out of the engine that was sitting in the lines and noticed it was a reddish colour, did that until it started to look cleaner but still no turn over

From what I was told the body has 180k on it and the engine is out of a caddy same size and spec with 90k on it. So it should have some life left in it. At least enough to be my beach truck. In no way shape or form is this truck pretty but cosmetics are second to functionality to me

Any info is greatly appreciatedYukon.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Have you checked if there's any codes? What's the fuel pressure read when cranking compared to what it's supposed to be? I'd it def getting a good spark? What's the condition of the cap and rotor?

OP
OP
Randazz0

Randazz0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked if there's any codes? What's the fuel pressure read when cranking compared to what it's supposed to be? I'd it def getting a good spark? What's the condition of the cap and rotor?

I have no codes or any dash signals at all, I am looking to borrow a pressure sensor tomorrow I started working on it to late tonight and all my helping hands are asleep. The cap and rotor look fairly new and the spark is definitely strong, thinking about blowing out the lines completely as the more I purge the more old gas comes out

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Busy this week but when I get a few minutes Ill stop by. I am in same town.

OP
OP
Randazz0

Randazz0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have it at my shop in Hauppauge, my neighbors don't like the fact I always have on going projects

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it has no spark the first thing i would look at is the cap and rotor for corrision,if still no spark perhaps the module in the distrubtor. But since the engine has been changed double check all the grounds,i say again grounds! Good luck and if i get some time i can swing by later next week. Not saying i could get it running but at least another set of eyes on it.

OP
OP
Randazz0

Randazz0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, got it running as of today after going back through all of it scratching my head and hitting the **** it button one last time she turned over and after clearing what sounded like contaminated gas out she idles no problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep