96 Yukon GT 4x4 5.3 or LS swap

Discussion in 'Performance' started by WestPalm83, Jan 11, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. WestPalm83

WestPalm83 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    My truck has 104k miles and just threw a rod bearing this morning. This is my daily driver and needs to get up and running fast! I am looking at the L32R crate motor from GM and just replacing like for like. The only thing is I had hoped to keep driving the truck for a while and build a motor before it needed one and put something with more performance in it.

Would a 5.3 or LS swap be too much work in a short period of time? what is required? I have not done this type of work before.

image (2).jpg

Creese99 and #1taho like this.
  2. bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro TYF Newbie

Name:
    Nathan
    I almost did an LS1 swap in my 90 GMC, but that was TBI. From what I've read in the past, it's not a hard swap, just need to make sure you repin for an 0411 PCM and have it tuned correctly, and all wiring harnesses match up, in general. There are more details, I am sure, but that's the jist. There is a lot of info from googling "96 Tahoe LS swap" that might help you. Are you located in West Palm Beach, FL?

This might help, as well: http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-...hoe-4wd-385-stroker-lq4-cam-headers-pics.html

3. WestPalm83

WestPalm83 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Anthony

I needed to get on the road quick so I ended up getting a crate motor from GM. I will still do the swap at some point but its not as pressing now. Yea I am located in West Palm

4. Bigbeardenali1992

Bigbeardenali1992 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    That's a bitchin looking 2-door!! I like it alot!

5. RED TAHOE LS

RED TAHOE LS Full Access Member

Name:
    david
    Anthony, what a nice ride, very slick/original BEAST. Let him live with the crate 5.7, their hard to match without a lot of work. The 5.3 is no match, and a day will come when you move it on to someone else that want's it in it's ORIGINAL birth. JMHO and good luck.
    David g.

6. bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro TYF Newbie

Name:
    Nathan
    I live in West Palm Beach, too. I'm not very knowledgeable on replacing a motor, but if you need any help just let me know!