'95 Yukon - Looking For Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rex87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
(Sorry so long, skip down to the 3rd paragraph to get to the point, beginning is a little background)

Hi all, I was looking for a 2-door Yukon/Tahoe, but locally, every decent one was a bit out of my preferred price range (unemployed/between jobs now), and condition wasn't worth it. I was going to wait until next year to buy one at a higher price. But.. I came across one local that needed some work. Salvaged title, clean interior for the most part, body in good shape, aside from the ugly painted wheels and fender flares, engine runs, lifted, 37"x12.5 tires, and a poorly done solid axle swap.

I am a highly skilled auto repair tech, and have a vast amount of experience with customization, but my key area of expertise is with race car builds. Out of confidence, and at $850, of course I jumped on it. Like everything about the truck, except the poorly converted front-end end.

***OK, now to the point. I have no idea what front axle this is, how this setup should look, such as the steering setup, and leaf spring mounts, the upper shock mounts are not on the frame anymore (no shocks installed at all), shock options. Pumpkin is on the drivers side, t-case is a driver side drop. Wondering what's simpler, swapping the t-case for an appropriate one, possible to invert the current axle, or just replace the axle assembly? If swapping, which one, and will ot be a bolt-on job. Looking for any ideas, recommendations, or resources. This is my first off-road type build, just wanting to do it right, and keep it cheap. I have an experienced local welder (Colorado Springs), don't know what to buy or where to start.

Main purpose for the truck is to drive in the winter as opposed to my other car. It'll never see the interstate, will mostly stay in the city, will ocassionally run on off road trails (not any time soon), I just want it safe to drive, and have 4wd back.

I attached photos of the front end. Hoping some of you can guide me in the right direction. I don't have any useful info, the previous owner said the axle assembly came from an older Chevy, but unsure. They bought it as a project truck, needed cash, and sold it to me. When I am done with a race build I am working on now, I will put more into the Yukon, but for now, just want it safe to drive. Worse case scenario, and likely in the future anyway, the entire front end will be removed, cleaned up, and redone. For now, just need a winter truck.

I do appreciate any help you all may offer. I've learned a lot so far, but this is a new field for me lol. If your local to Colorado Springs, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

20161015_091010.jpg

20161015_090945.jpg

20161015_090941.jpg

20161005_200345.jpg

20161005_200325.jpg

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woulda liked to see some shots from the outside too but those leaf springs need out imo

OP
OP
Rex87

Rex87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I will be doing all the work other than welding. Hubs are 6 lug, and unsure what lift is on the truck, I attached a side view pic for reference.

20161006_155458.jpg

OP
OP
Rex87

Rex87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I woulda liked to see some shots from the outside too but those leaf springs need out imo
Pic Added, I was under the impression they should be removed as well. I am not too confident in the leaf spring mounts either, that bar they are mounted to that goes from the frame, side to side, doesn't look to trustworthy (will add better pics as soon as I can). Wondering if I should buy newer better ones, or swap from another vehicle. Shouldn't they be mounted to the frame itself?

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow ok....so they put leaf springs on the front or am I seeing this wrong?

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With no shocks....that is absolutely ******. Wonder what the thought process was there. I hope someone else can chime in here...I'm no suspension genius

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they truly were trying to build an isu-152 lol

OP
OP
Rex87

Rex87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lol yeah, I do feel they ****** it up pretty good. Now I'm attempting to unfuck it. I figure in the end, this project will cost about as much as I would have bought a "good" one for. Hoping to get this squared away in under $3k...hoping.

OP
OP
Rex87

Rex87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With no shocks....that is absolutely ******. Wonder what the thought process was there. I hope someone else can chime in here...I'm no suspension genius
Maybe they truly were trying to build an isu-152 lol
Haha I wouldn't mind it for those days we get 12+" of snow in a couple hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094