93 gmc suburban sle questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyrone27

Reaction score
Well getting the 93 gmc suburban sle next Thursday and I have a few questions.
fe8b3699ce2e3b9f431712b7a8634603.jpg

1. How hard are the front and rear bumpers to remove? Rear bumper is badly rusted so I was going to replace it and front bumper is bent so was going to replace it too.

2. Does the suburban come with a amp? Do I need to buy adapter plates for the speakers? It has 6 speakers. Also for the guys that rewire there stereo system with new speaker wiring what gauge do you use?

3. How hard is the headliner to replace. The stock is broken up and missing so was going to replace it.

4. How hard is the coolant sensor to replace. The temperature gauge in the truck isn't working and the guy said the connector on the sensor is broken.

5. Anyone have to source on the donut Gaskets for the manifold to downpipe?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Front and rear bumpers are easy to remove. I can't remember the size but around 18 or 19mm sockets and wrench's.

2. Unless your Suburban was equipped with Bose Speakers, it wont have a factory amp.

3. The headliner is kind of a pain in the ass, you'll need to remove the A pillar trim and all the interior trim that runs over the edge of the headliner. Also the rear seat belt bolts that go through the headliner, any overhead console, unplug overhead interior lights, sunvisors, rear speakers. Be careful when pulling the headliner loose up front by the windshield, there are plastic Velcro pieces that hold it up there. run your fingers between the headliner and roof carefully to separate them. You'll need some help getting it out once you have all that is removed.

4. The coolant sensor tells the computer what the coolant temp is, the coolant sending unit for the guage is what it sounds like you'll need to replace. It should be in the left cylinder head if memory serves.

5. Donut gaskets can be bought from any of your local parts stores.

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just recently I have been having an issue where my coolant gauge reads no more than about 160 deg. I replaced the 195 deg thermostat 6 months ago with a Fail Safe but I hear those often fail in the open position. Before I dig into this by draining the coolant and checking the thermostat, I did some research online and found this video that discusses the temperature sending unit and how to check it.

I checked mine with a circuit tester. My gauge did not go full hot. I am not sure if the resistance from the circuit tester light was sufficient to cause the temperature gauge needle to not swing full hot, but since it didnt, I am now thinking that the cluster might have some kind of issue. and yes the coolant sending unit is in the left side of the block.

Any thoughts on that?

The coolant temp never gets above... so not sure where to go from here exactly.

IMG_1164.JPG

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook it up to a scanner and check what it says the coolant temp is. It's reading temp by the coolant sensor not the sending unit for the guage. If your temp on thw scanner shows to be close to what you believe it should be running, then i'd say you have a bad temp sending unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with mtl111.

Note, also, that the marks on the gauge are not linear like the oil pressure gauge. I'm not convinced that it was ever intended to be an accurate measuring device.

Both my 98 Tahoe and truck show gauge readings similar to your photo. Using a scanner, my ECT sensor readings are correct for the thermostat installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33