87 octane vs 91 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider it this way JC:

87 octane is $2.39 a gallon and let's say 26 gallons to fill up. That's $62.14 and 87 in our mythical truck returns 14 mpg for a range of 364 miles. That's $.17 cents a mile.

93 octane is $3.09 a gallon and let's say 26 gallons to fill up. That's $80.34 and 93 in our mythical truck returns 16 mpg for a range of 416 miles. That's $.193 cents a mile.

Not much difference in price when looked at this way, big difference in performance and in the care and feeding of the motor.

It costs me (with a bad cat) about $.24 cents a mile to run 93 and $.19 cents a mile to run E85 on average for both as fuel prices are ever changing.

I am not saying you are wrong, far from it. However not everyone gets a tangible increase in fuel efficiency when going with higher octane. If people are not experiencing detonation or other maladies from lower octane, your aforementioned example is not necessarily accurate.
For high performance engines I do only run 93 or even 94 if I can find it. Heck on occasion, I'd have jet fuel grade gas regardless of cost if performance was demanded, fuel efficiency be damned.
Still, with regular demands on typical driving scenarios, I am not sure any of out 6.2's really benefit that much between low and medium grade fuel.

Lastly, where I live in S FL, price differences can be greater than $0.70 per gallon. Heck there was a $1.02 difference between regular 87 in one part of the county vs. another for 87 grade.
I am not even sure what the difference was for premium, as I was in shock at the difference for the same grade.

`

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
different prices for the same grade
should be expected in different areas

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
either way u should run 93. if I was buying a used 6.2 truck and knew the previous owner put 87 all the time I'd probably pass

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying you are wrong, far from it. However not everyone gets a tangible increase in fuel efficiency when going with higher octane. If people are not experiencing detonation or other maladies from lower octane, your aforementioned example is not necessarily accurate.
For high performance engines I do only run 93 or even 94 if I can find it. Heck on occasion, I'd have jet fuel grade gas regardless of cost if performance was demanded, fuel efficiency be damned.
Still, with regular demands on typical driving scenarios, I am not sure any of out 6.2's really benefit that much between low and medium grade fuel.

Lastly, where I live in S FL, price differences can be greater than $0.70 per gallon. Heck there was a $1.02 difference between regular 87 in one part of the county vs. another for 87 grade.
I am not even sure what the difference was for premium, as I was in shock at the difference for the same grade.

`
@BlackBearPerf @JennaBear @Justin

You guys care to clear this up....lol

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is almost laughable that someone owning a truck that expensive would put rat piss gas in it! In short, you could easily grenade your high performance, high COMPRESSION engine with the wrong octane gas!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/eliminating-detonation-pre-ignition/

I get your point, but not everyone that buys an Escalade (especially used) is a "baller". Furthermore, many a report has come out over the years to show very few cars (typically high performance) that suggest or call for premium, actually need it.
Now in my ZR-1, it gets premium no questions asked. Still places like Consumer Reports claim in most cases it is just throwing money away based on marketing.

`

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC, I've been proving this point for thirty years from Toyota Corollas to my new to me Yukon. I'm just north of you and the spread between high test and low is shrinking again, it used to be just .10 cents per grade difference not so long ago. Today, at a top tier Mobil station nearby in Jensen Beach, the spread is $.60 cents, $3.15 for 93. Last month it was $2.87 for a week or so. Even E85 went up from last week, about twenty cents a gallon.

As I've said before, y'all have to work out which Top Tier fuel works best in your auto and where to buy it at the best price. I've seen several mpg differences between Top Tier 93 among stations, my Montanas run awful on Shell's 93 compared with Sunoco and run even better on Mobil and Chevron. My truck is bearing that out too.

And, last time I checked the lower octane fuels do not have the additives that contribute to keeping the fuel system clean, that alone is worth the cost to me. A great many of the driveability problem posts are because of folks running that cheap gas. One gets what they pay for, seemingly anyway, it costs more to run cheap gas than good gas.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC, I've been proving this point for thirty years from Toyota Corollas to my new to me Yukon. I'm just north of you and the spread between high test and low is shrinking again, it used to be just .10 cents per grade difference not so long ago. Today, at a top tier Mobil station nearby in Jensen Beach, the spread is $.60 cents, $3.15 for 93. Last month it was $2.87 for a week or so. Even E85 went up from last week, about twenty cents a gallon.

As I've said before, y'all have to work out which Top Tier fuel works best in your auto and where to buy it at the best price. I've seen several mpg differences between Top Tier 93 among stations, my Montanas run awful on Shell's 93 compared with Sunoco and run even better on Mobil and Chevron. My truck is bearing that out too.

And, last time I checked the lower octane fuels do not have the additives that contribute to keeping the fuel system clean, that alone is worth the cost to me. A great many of the driveability problem posts are because of folks running that cheap gas. One gets what they pay for, seemingly anyway, it costs more to run cheap gas than good gas.
Ironically here in California, shell has excellent gas. Which is what I buy here in big bear, but unfortunately 91 octane which I run my 6.0 on, is 3.55 a gallon. Ski town jacks up prices. But at Costco down off the mountain, which has good quality gas I’m spending I think right around 3 a gallon. If I have rewards points built up from my groceries, I can go to chevron and pay just under 3 a gallon for 91 octane, that isn’t that often though. It’s true, you get what you pay for, cheap companies cheapo gas and you’ll get ****.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63