#8 Spark Plug on the 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's how I did mine.

I can't credit for all of this, there is a YT video on this somewhere.

Get the Spark plug socket and add 2 adapter extensions..... This make the PERFECT length setup.

Spark plug socket, 3/8 to 1/2, 1/2 to 3/8

20150605_143809_zps5pzqg10q.jpg

Then I removed the heater hose bracket. The video had said to undo the dipstick bolt. I did NOT. This is with the bracket removed.

20150605_143853_zpsh4ygnyno.jpg

Remove the oil stick and tuck the heater hoses behind the tube.

20150605_143907_zpskmkuim1u.jpg

This gives you PLENTY of room to work.

Pull the boot off the coil first, then twist off the wire at the plug.

Slide your socket contraption onto the plug first then snap in your 3/8 ratchet.

If there is a thread on this already please delete or merge.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was holding off cleaning the bay till I finally finished all the maintenance

byrds6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What link? When I bought mine from a crappy dealer last year they told me they dont clean them because its bad for them lol.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I read this post before I went in. I was more prepared for #8.

I used a couple of cheats.

While I'm 6 feet tall it's still tough to reach these things well. I used one of those square snap together foam pads on the floor under my step stool so it wouldn't kick out. I also used a board between the fender and the alternator to lean on for #4 plug.

I used my air ratchet. Surprisingly to me it easily broke the plugs loose and tightened them back very much like when I use my ratchet and feel.

I also had a short extension that worked great for the right reach especially on #8 with low clearance.

Finally I have an old spark plug boot from a set of old wires many years ago. I use that to extend my reach when I want to spin the plug with my fingers. It's really hard to beat for starting the new plug. You actually have some feel with it so you don't cross thread anything. You can usually spin a plug quite a ways in to save ratcheting time. It's also handy for pulling plugs out. You can spin it out and not drop it.

Tahoe-Plugs-185k-1024x768.jpg

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember doing this thread.

I was looking for it like 8 months ago..... couldn't find it since I didn't mark it.

Yes, my own thread. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN