$700 for rear tail light replacement???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L's Truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: gotta love the dealership. Took it on a roadtrip and it was intermittently working. Removed it (very easy) to check the connections - nothing there. Opened the fusebox, found the correct fuse, pushed it in all the way, voila --- it works. Hmmmmmmmmm
Stealership never ceases to amaze me

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: gotta love the dealership. Took it on a roadtrip and it was intermittently working. Removed it (very easy) to check the connections - nothing there. Opened the fusebox, found the correct fuse, pushed it in all the way, voila --- it works. Hmmmmmmmmm

:lol2:

Glad it worked out.

Kazsmir

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I filed a complaint with the NTSB... I have 52k miles on my 2015 Yukon XL Denali... taillight is temperamental. I can push on the plastic housing and the taillight will illuminate. I can then bump it and it will stay lit for a few minutes then go back out. Called the dealership and was quoted $850+ installed to replace the taillight. Its clearly an electrical fault... all the bulbs still illuminate when its on. Going to pull the taillight this weekend and check the connector. I thought it looked cool, but had no idea it would cost so much when it failed. I even have a comprehensive 100k warranty through Assurant (USAA), but it doesn't cover anything deemed "illumination", so I may be SOL.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in NYC last October saw several 2015 plus Livery Suburban's with blown headlamps..Was not happy to see that.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filed a complaint with the NTSB... I have 52k miles on my 2015 Yukon XL Denali... taillight is temperamental. I can push on the plastic housing and the taillight will illuminate. I can then bump it and it will stay lit for a few minutes then go back out. Called the dealership and was quoted $850+ installed to replace the taillight. Its clearly an electrical fault... all the bulbs still illuminate when its on. Going to pull the taillight this weekend and check the connector. I thought it looked cool, but had no idea it would cost so much when it failed. I even have a comprehensive 100k warranty through Assurant (USAA), but it doesn't cover anything deemed "illumination", so I may be SOL.

At this point at least, it sounds like a bad solder joint. Might be an easy fix.

sharksfan22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just fell into the same issue. A little over a year ago, one of my taillights failed but was covered under warranty. The same light failed again, but is out of the 12mo/12k mle warranty so I had the privilege of spending $800 on a new taillight assembly. The dealer was polite about it and provided me the info to file a claim with GM.

sharksfan22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like GMC is going to be reasonable here. They offered to pay half the price of the replacement - I took it as that's better than nothing and technically, they really have no legal obligation to pay anything.

vishnu619

Reaction score
Both of mine just went out, have the Ally extended warranty. Will call tomorrow and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
It
LEDs are a stupid "solution" in search of a non-existent problem. Instead of a $2 incandescent bulb that needs replace every couple years, now it's a multi-hundred $ repair. I'd be trying to retrofit back to ordinary $2 lamps.

http://www.eenewsanalog.com/news/big-lie-about-led-lighting
The big lie about LED lighting
Scott Elder, principal engineer with Linear Technology discusses why LED lighting fails earlier than consumers might expect.
Goes hand in hand with the trend lemmings that jumped on the white tail lights band wagon. LED's is just taking the tail light stupid up another level. Your mileage may vary.

MiamiDubai

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the dreaded has happened.
My passenger taillight is temperamental. Seems to only work at night.
Pulled the trigger and bought a set of Esky lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts