6" BDS Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Anyone running the 6" BDS on a new Tahoe? I have a 2017 and am looking at getting this kit installed.

I'm curious about overall experience post install, and what size wheels/tires you're running. I would also like to know the overall height of the Tahoe post install so I can see if I can still fit in the parking garage at my work.

quicksilver

Reaction score
Fabtech is like 6'10.5" at the roof rails. With 35s you will have tire clearance issues guaranteed. Also, I don't even try a parking garage unless it is >7'.

quicksilver

Reaction score
Fabtech is like 6'10.5" at the roof rails. With 35s you will have tire clearance issues guaranteed. Also, I don't even try a parking garage unless it is >7'.

I have an XL so that may be a little different for you.

quicksilver

Reaction score
Absolutely. If you read the fine print on Fabtech, you will find it says (somewhere in small print) minor trimming required. ...and it is.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Absolutely. If you read the fine print on Fabtech, you will find it says (somewhere in small print) minor trimming required. ...and it is.

Thanks - I've already trimmed/modified my fender wells slightly to clear Toyo RTs 285/65 with a -12 spaced wheel. i was able to clear this with a 2" RC leveling kit (but added a .5" to make the truck level).

Undeserving

Mitch and Murray sent me.
Reaction score
Can we get an update on this project. I am wanting to do a 6" on my 2017 Sub Z71 but am on the fence. If it cant clear 35's without hacking up the truck then what the point??? Ideally I would like to fit 37s but that seems impossible without involving 3 engineers and $10,000 in R&D money.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Can we get an update on this project. I am wanting to do a 6" on my 2017 Sub Z71 but am on the fence. If it cant clear 35's without hacking up the truck then what the point??? Ideally I would like to fit 37s but that seems impossible without involving 3 engineers and $10,000 in R&D money.

Absolutely. I ended up installing the 6" BDS lift and kept the 1/2" spacer under the coil spring to make sure it sits level. I posted several pictures in the "show off your lifted Tahoe" thread. I've got 20x10 wheels with a -12 offset running Toyo AT2 295/60R20 tires. These are effectively 34s" that are 11.5" wide. There's plenty of clearance, although I did have to trim the inside of the front of the fender (the angled piece that sticks out parallel to the ground). I had already beat in some of the back of the fender well with the leveling kit so nothing more needed there.

I've very happy with how it looks and drives. I'm adding hellwig sway bars front and rear to hopefully firm it up when cornering. With the lift the rear axle was slightly out of center (1/2" towards the passenger side) so I'm adding an adjustable panhard bar to correct that. Getting that and the sway bars installed Friday.

I think it could also easily clear 35s", but I didn't want the fender wells to be completely filled up. You're not fitting 37s without a body lift or major front fender cutting.

Undeserving

Mitch and Murray sent me.
Reaction score
Thanks for the update TTU. I am glad you are happy with it but I know I wouldnt be. To not clear 34s without having to do the trimming and clearencing you've had to do already is disappointing. Add to that the off center rear axle and spacers, I know I would be not a happy camper. It sounds like the kit was poorly developed and left a lot of work for the end user. Fortunetly you are able and willing to do it. I dont have the time, place or equipment to do so. I want a turn key product and am willing to pay a reasonable premium for something that does exactly as it says it will in a real and legitimate manner (read: NO FINE PRINT). It hard to believe no one makes a solid 4 or 6" kit for these trucks, as many of them there are out there, especially coming on to the secondary market. I know they can work, but cobbled together parts from various kits that include spacers, extensions and require additional parts to correct issues created by the initial lift just doesnt sound like solid engineering to me. Yes, a lot of guys have the time, intellectual horsepower and gear to work thru these initial limitations and end up with a nice and solid end result but for many of us, perhaps with more dollars then sense, who just want it done right the first time, its not a viable option.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Thanks for the update TTU. I am glad you are happy with it but I know I wouldnt be. To not clear 34s without having to do the trimming and clearencing you've had to do already is disappointing. Add to that the off center rear axle and spacers, I know I would be not a happy camper. It sounds like the kit was poorly developed and left a lot of work for the end user. Fortunetly you are able and willing to do it. I dont have the time, place or equipment to do so. I want a turn key product and am willing to pay a reasonable premium for something that does exactly as it says it will in a real and legitimate manner (read: NO FINE PRINT). It hard to believe no one makes a solid 4 or 6" kit for these trucks, as many of them there are out there, especially coming on to the secondary market. I know they can work, but cobbled together parts from various kits that include spacers, extensions and require additional parts to correct issues created by the initial lift just doesnt sound like solid engineering to me. Yes, a lot of guys have the time, intellectual horsepower and gear to work thru these initial limitations and end up with a nice and solid end result but for many of us, perhaps with more dollars then sense, who just want it done right the first time, its not a viable option.

Overall I'm happy with the lift kit. The only thing I didn't like is having to add the adjustable panhard bar to the back to center it up. Their kit comes with a bracket to level out the stock panhard bar, but I don't know if it needs to be taller or what.

The inner fender work I did when I had just a leveling kit with -14 offset wheels (factory wheels with 1.5" backspacers). I don't think I would have had to do that if I had started with just the lift.

To be fair to BDS, I knew what I was getting when I ordered it. They clearly say the kit is made to clear 34s with a 9" wide wheel with a 0 offset, or 35s on a 9" with a +19 offset. I knew going to a 10" with a -12 was going to require some minor trimming, which I was okay with. I also knew from research that pretty much every brand of Tahoe lifts still didn't make it sit completely level, which is why I kept the 1/2" spacer. I picked them up on eBay for less than $20 so it was not big deal. From what I remember other 6" lifts advertise similar clearances.

Regarding sway bars, unless you are buying a kit that comes with them, it's pretty much a required accessory when you're lifting any vehicle. Raising the center of gravity for any several thousand pound vehicle is going to put the factory sway bars out of spec for what they were designed for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts