6.6 Gas L8T Engine Swap in 2015 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L8T BURB

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Every 4.8L, 5.3L. 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 6.6L, and 7.0L shares extremely similar external dimensions.
The whole point of a small-block.
If you don't already know for a fact that a jacqueswhole has swapped a 5.3L into a 'vette, just to get away with selling it to someone unawares ...
Now you know. If you can't believe it, DuckDuckGo it (googl me ars).
As for the 6L90, he did such a good job with that crossmember, the only people who will spot it are transmission and/or crossmember experts.
Never meant to be? They look right at home!

Speaking of 6.6L swaps, dig these DuraMax conversion firms:

Blame CAFE MpG standards for the fact that we can't go to a dealership and order powertrains like a Five Guys burger.

If you were to consider selling it, consider / research how well Suburban 2500s hold their value.
In other words, when you do sell it, you'd better have sold it for enough money to feel really good about it - because you'll STILL regret it.
Honestly I didn't realize the whole engine family was so similar. Maybe I should have went with the 7.0L 427! I've known about the Duramax swaps for quite some time. I guess I was basing my comment about it being unique off of the fact that it was an engine that just debuted a couple of years ago, and I hadn't seen such a swap done on any 2015-2020 Suburban at the time I did my swap.

Either way, you're right. It'd likely take more than anyone's willing to pay me in order for me to feel good about selling it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have went with the 7.0L 427!
Although LS7s are awesome, I consider them out of character in bubbas. Plus they're a tease in a CAFE-world.
L8Ts are designed spec'd and built to work HARD for 300,000 miles.
How do you feel about the axle gear - 3.08, yeah? Normally, I'll rant
'Every GM truck and suv with a 6L80 should have either 3.42 or 3.73, damnt!'
whenever reasonably possible - but if I were you, I'd likely let it be in your case, you lucky bastaducci.

Congratulations on doing what GM should have done.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If, and it is a BIG if....I was to consider selling this thing, any idea on what someone would be willing to pay? It being a highly specific, 1 off type of build, and the mileage, I'm concerned I'd get burned on any sort of good sale price. This thing is a MONSTER since the engine swap.

Highlights as follows...

2015 Suburban, 2WD, 189K miles.
Tan leather interior w/captains chairs
Factory overhead Blu-Ray player

Just 3k miles ago the following repairs were done...

Brand new 6.6 engine transmission (No DOD/AFM)
Brand new 6L90 transmission
New driveshaft
New ball joints, inner and outer tie Rods, new front shocks/struts, new rear shocks
New steering wheel (old one had peeling leather)
New motor mounts

Cosmetic stuff
22 inch RST wheels/tires from a 2022 Suburban w/3k miles
2022 Suburban RST wheels w/3k miles
5% tint on all windows w/5% strip on windshield

All said, engine and transmission cost was $7500, other miscellaneous parts another $1000, and total labor cost for all repairs was $6500. Crazy...I KNOW lol! It's basically a bulletproof Suburban at this point though.

View attachment 420224View attachment 420225View attachment 420226
Idk.. but take my money lol that things a beast. Hoovies garage or cleetus would probably buy it asap.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would a stock comparable vehicle in similar condition go for? I'd go from there, and maybe add another 10k--or a little less. That's just off the top of my head.

I agree with this and would be my recommendation as well, that's probably a good starting point.

Unfortunately the majority of full-size GM SUV customers don't know the value of having a motor that doesn't have AFM/DOD and the value of the additional reliability that brings to the vehicle. Hell, most full-size GM SUV customers/owners don't even know how it works or what it does mechanically. Which is also why you're potential buying pool of finding someone willing to pay for the drivetrain upgrades you've done is super small.

If you were seriously considering selling it your best avenue would be GM SUV and truck forums, bring a trailer, cars & bids, and eBay. Your chances of exposure to potential enthusiast owners who would likely appreciate (and place value) on the upgrades you've done is going to be larger on those platforms versus autotrader, cargurus, etc.

However, that being said you said it:
Either way, you're right. It'd likely take more than anyone's willing to pay me in order for me to feel good about selling it.
This is so true. The reality it regardless it'll be listed for sale for a long time before the right buyer comes along and is willing to come close to a dollar amount you're willing to accept for it.

Because of these factors your best bet to ensure you're getting the most value out of the upgrades you've already done is to just drive it and enjoy it. You're already "pot committed" at this point. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to put another 150K+ miles on that bad boy with routine maintenance.

I think it's a bad a$$ daily driver family hauler. The L8T and 6l90e swap you've done has like you said, pretty much made your Suburban bullet proof. You've done some nice clean subtle changes to the exterior with the "RST" theme; Black out that window trim and you're chrome delete is done.

The swap was just completed not long ago, I think you're still sorting out the exhaust or cat situation but that's a small piece of the equation money wise at this point.

The way I see it you have two things that would keep you from enjoying this rig for another 150K+ miles:
1. Rust
2. Keeping the paint looking good and in good condition

I'm not sure what all on the front end has new paint; If it's just the grill or if the front bumper recently got a re-spray as well. If it did I would put some PPF on the front bumper and grill ASAP to keep them protected and looking new for longer. Then have a under coating/rust proof treatment done to the underside, frame, inside doors, fenders, and tail gate.

Then just drive and enjoy... :driver:

RobH

Reaction score
This may have already been covered.

@L8T BURB's investment is his new 2021 transmission and V8. We all know that he has much more than a rebuilt 2015 V8 and 6L80E. But, that was his cost. So, selling it as a 2015 Suburban with new engine/transmission replacement in 2023 should get back his investment over the value of his 2015 Suburban with worn out engine and transmission. FWIW and YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar