6.2 liter longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How are the 6.2's with AFM doing? (starting in 2010 I believe?)
Looks the the high mileage examples above are all pre-AFM

Last edited:

ronnyballgame

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. I have a 2007 GMC Denali with 199,500 (big party at 200K) that I bought with 72K 6 years ago. I LOVE MY TRUCK, and have spent the last year getting some basic work done to it to keep it going (new shocks, front end, and a main seal, that they had to replace the oil pan gasket also). I want to keep the thing at least another 3 years, so I am interested in this topic. I am using oil (a quart to 1.5 between changes), but think that i need to get the valve cover gaskets done to solve part of that problem. It would be a great car for my 12 year old in 4 years though.

Anyone that has had to do a rebuild...what were some costs involved? Did you upgrade the heads or camshaft to give you more hp? This 6.2, from what I understand, is a very desirable motor because of all of the options you an do with power upgrades, and I am wondering what people have done.

Thanks!

MrTeddyBrukShot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 yukon XL Denali w/ 56k miles on it. Is there any schedule maintenance I have to do soon? And I'm reading about this AFM how does it work and is it beneficial or not?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 yukon XL Denali w/ 56k miles on it. Is there any schedule maintenance I have to do soon? And I'm reading about this AFM how does it work and is it beneficial or not?

You would do well to read your owner's manual. If the truck did not come with one you can download them or purchase them on ebay. At the GM Hertitage Center website you can download the Suburban and Tahoe files for 2007 that go into great detail all the features of this generation of trucks. AFM provides for better fuel economy but in the long term at the expense of reliability.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, AFM is synonymous with DOD or Displacement On Demand.

The LY6 is a 6.0 iron block motor and does not have AFM at all. The 2010 models have VVT (Variable Valve Timing) as do most engines made then and thereafter.

Not sure if VVT started in '07 or '08, but my '08 LY6 has VVT.

I had no qualms buying my L9H non-AFM Denali with 70k miles. I fully expect it to go to 200k miles, if I keep it that long.

Alan2017

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am v worried regarding bad news of AFM 6.2 engines being Not reliable! My both 2011 Yukon Denali & 2013 Escalade EXT are AFM 6.2s!! Is this simply lousy bad engineering by GM ? Sadly I recently learned ( After my Yukon & Escalade purchase ) about the horror stories of the AFM system can sometimes lead to costly engine damages or even failures!!

Last edited:

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I have 2 2007’s with 6.2’s, bought both used, one I had more access to the records and had one owner with regular maintenance & the other had 3 owners and I had limited access to the records, both over 100k miles, and i wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one any day.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM failures do happen but is nearly always caused by poor maintenance habits. Keep clean oil in your motor and it shall serve you well.

Alan2017

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AFM failures do happen but is nearly always caused by poor maintenance habits. Keep clean oil in your motor and it shall serve you well.

I remember Upon collection of both my Yukon & Escalade the very first thing I did change engine oil Mobil 1 0-40 and new filter even though the oil was Not dirty and due yet but its for my peace of mind. After reflection now I wish had bought pre AFM models but my both trucks are low miles and v clean thats a blessing.