6.2 engine destroyed. 25,000km

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannydean

Reaction score
Afm /dod has been the cause of valvetrain damage and oil usage. If had an engine with dod, i would delete it or have it turned off. My 07 6.2l doesnt have afm/dod and has 210000 on and still going strong.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Got yukon back today. Runs nice and the valve train is a lot quieter i've noticed. Oil pressure is the same as before. Replaced all 16 lifters + cam and even the oil pump.
Still have case open with gm as i'm concerned of reliability and maybe they would offer something such as extended warranty etc. Don't get anything if you don't ask. Dealership was great and work looks very clean. Time will tell.
Based on your situation, I now am doubting my decision to purchase my 2016 Yukon Denali upon the expiration of the lease.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you don't make your car buying decisions based on one post as you will never find any manufacturer without any problems.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afm /dod has been the cause of valvetrain damage and oil usage. If had an engine with dod, i would delete it or have it turned off. My 07 6.2l doesnt have afm/dod and has 210000 on and still going strong.

Turning it off does not protect you from failure. The issue is the lifters and DOD oil circuit. As others have mentioned, the standard repair procedure approved by GM is to replace failed lifters and cam, but they just replace the broken parts with like parts.

If you want to reduce the possibility of a lifter failure, then opt to install a DOD delete 'kit'. You can usually get a bit better cam too, but the choice is up to you. It's still a crap shoot, though, as roller lifters can, and do fail, it's just that the DOD lifters seem to be more failure-prone.

We've had great luck with out '10 PPV, though. It has >100K miles on the clock, and still running original engine with DOD. Our '12 Caprice 9C1, however, got a new cam and 4 lifters at about 40K miles (still in police service). I'm still mulling over the idea of installing a DOD delete kit in the Caprice.

Remember, there are tens of thousands of vehicles on the road today running DOD with no issues, but if you're concerned about it, you will have to do a DOD-delete to mitigate the risk of it happening (again).

Dannydean

Reaction score
Turning it off does not protect you from failure. The issue is the lifters and DOD oil circuit. As others have mentioned, the standard repair procedure approved by GM is to replace failed lifters and cam, but they just replace the broken parts with like parts.

If you want to reduce the possibility of a lifter failure, then opt to install a DOD delete 'kit'. You can usually get a bit better cam too, but the choice is up to you. It's still a crap shoot, though, as roller lifters can, and do fail, it's just that the DOD lifters seem to be more failure-prone.

We've had great luck with out '10 PPV, though. It has >100K miles on the clock, and still running original engine with DOD. Our '12 Caprice 9C1, however, got a new cam and 4 lifters at about 40K miles (still in police service). I'm still mulling over the idea of installing a DOD delete kit in the Caprice.

Remember, there are tens of thousands of vehicles on the road today running DOD with no issues, but if you're concerned about it, you will have to do a DOD-delete to mitigate the risk of it happening (again).

You are correct. And much better said. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442