6.2 engine destroyed. 25,000km

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brendon444

Reaction score
2016 6.2 Denali top end of motor done with only 25,000km. Roller on lifter ruined and pitted. Needs all lifters replaced and cam is also worn. Anyone else hear of this? Not really impressed at this point. Concerned of future reliability.

OP
OP
brendon444

brendon444

Reaction score
Looks to be known problem.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on and/or an engine misfire/tick noise.

Technicians may find DTC P0300 set or in history.

Cause
This may be the result of an active fuel management (AFM) lifter that is mechanically collapsed and/or stuck all of the time.

This may be the result of internal locking pin damage in the lifter, due to oil aeration.

This may be the result of a lifter that has collapsed and is stuck in the lifter bore.

Correction
Note: Inspect the camshaft for damage while the lifters are removed from the engine. If damage is found, replace the camshaft per SI.

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, technicians should inspect for valve operation.

If the valve(s) are not moving, replace the valve lifter oil manifold and affected bank of AFM lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Replacement and Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

If the lifter has spun the bore, the guides should also be replaced.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly, yep/
most attribute it to the lifters for the displacement on demand function, it works by collapsing special lifters for 4 of the cylinders.
I have the older AFM/DOD engine in my 2012 denali picked up earlier this year. with less that 50k miles engine ran good but had some lifter tick on cold starts, still a few months left on factory powertrain warranty i kinda played dumb and told the dealer make it stop. they ended up replacing the entire long block as it wiped out the cam and a few crank bearings.
I am actually just about to fire up the engine again after pulling the brand new(about 5k miles) engine out and deleting the DOD lifters and associated actuators, tuning it all out
maybe a little extreme, but since powertrain warranty is gone for me pretty soon o well, i'll take my chances with out the DOD

OP
OP
brendon444

brendon444

Reaction score
Yes i'm worried about potential metal that went through the engine. The lifter that was most pitted + worn was a solid one without the spring. Assuming this is a non AFM lifter. Not famililar with these newer motors internals. Wouldn't trust one out of warranty.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why does this forum always put N/A on a thread that mentions a problem? As far as the 6.2 I can’t complain it’s been great so far and has had no issues.

Last edited:

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty normal DOD lifter failure, need to replace, cam, lifters, chain tensioner, vally cover(very important) had to do my escalade @ 70k then I tuned the DOD off

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All lifters have the potential to fail, most lifter failures will have chunks of metal to big to pass through the filter and if it did the engine bearings would be toast. Chances are you will be fine, I would ask the dealer to make sure oil pressure is within spec after running it hard with the new cam and lifters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
brendon444

brendon444

Reaction score
Got yukon back today. Runs nice and the valve train is a lot quieter i've noticed. Oil pressure is the same as before. Replaced all 16 lifters + cam and even the oil pump.
Still have case open with gm as i'm concerned of reliability and maybe they would offer something such as extended warranty etc. Don't get anything if you don't ask. Dealership was great and work looks very clean. Time will tell.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got yukon back today. Runs nice and the valve train is a lot quieter i've noticed. Oil pressure is the same as before. Replaced all 16 lifters + cam and even the oil pump.
Still have case open with gm as i'm concerned of reliability and maybe they would offer something such as extended warranty etc. Don't get anything if you don't ask. Dealership was great and work looks very clean. Time will tell.

I'm always curious to know which dealers treat people well...

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, mine has been great since had it done, I would suggest disabling the AFM either with a tuner(some do not) or thru HP tuners where you can just turn that off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts