6.2 Denali or supercharged 5.3 SLT???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I sold my 07 Z71 Tahoe after 10 years of ownership. Hated to part with it but it was time for a new ride. Interested to hear some opinions on this. And yes I know the blown 6.2 Denali would be awesome but budget wise that just won't cut it. So any opinions? I am sold on the new Yukons. Love the style and design. I have always wanted a supercharged project but have never officially jumped in. I am looking at buying new, just waiting right now until the incentives are in a good spot. So lay it on me. Denali or supercharged SLT? I am leaning the supercharged route but I go back and forth.

Dooba

Reaction score
Well, I own a 16 Yukon SLT and thoroughly enjoy it, but I havent done much more than a cai but here's my analysis.
Numbers stock:
The SLT with the 5.3 vortec has~355 hp at the crank, assuming a 20-30% loss that means stock you'd have 248.5-284 hp to the wheels.
The Denali with the 6.2 vortec has ~420 hp at the crank, including drivetrain loss you'd have 294-336 hp.
Obviously, stock vs stock the Denali outperforms it in terms of performance.

If you are not able to find an SLT with a 3.42 gear ratio (HD Trailering package), I would definitely go with the Denali. I test drove yukons with the 3.08 & 3.42, the 5.3 with the 3.42 gear ratio is no slouch while the 3.08 leaves much to be desired. The Denali comes standard with the 3.42 gear ratio (if i recall correctly).

If you're able to find an SLT with the HD Trailering package (shouldn't be too hard), supercharging it should easily reach the Denali's crank hp numbers.
For instance, lets take Hennessey's supercharger package crank hp numbers.
508 hp at the crank with 20-30% loss means at the wheels you'd have 355.6-406.4 hp.

However, this Hennessy package costs $10k (or if you look hard enough $6-7k). The price difference between an SLT & Denali with rebates can be a lot less than this.

You have to take into consideration that supercharging the 5.3 vortec will cause strain to the engine, but these engines are robust and have proved how well they can handle power on stock internals. Warranty may also be voided if you go the supercharged route. Lastly, resale value (if you care about it) will worsen rather than improve if it has a supercharger.

tl;dr
Denali
Why?
-If anything goes wrong, warranty is not voided
-Better fuel economy vs supercharged 5.3 (but the economy is bad to begin with so moot point).
-Has exceptional power from the showroom. Comes in a worry free package. Cheaper vs labor + parts charge for supercharging 5.3 vortec.

I haven't included some of the goodies the SLT can't get (mainly stuff I wish mine had) that is standard on the Denali:
HID headlights - Can make this irrelevent on a SLT by using led lights for better lighting. I went with this approach rather than buying retrofitted HIDs.
HUD display
8.1 inch digital cluster display
Magnetic ride suspension

However if you want the above options and a supercharged 5.3 vortec I'd go with a LTZ since its basically a denali minus the 6.2 vortec & 8 speed.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an SLE with Max tow (3.42). I paid $48K plus another $1900 for Katzkin Leather...so $50K plus taxes. My truck came with the "Convenience" package that closed the gap quickly on goodies that the SLT has for about $8K less. I put a Diablo I2 tune on mine and will testify that vs a '16 Denali 6.2 six speed with 3.08 gears...my 5.3 will pull away in a full half mile with the 6.2 not catching up. Around town the 5.3 with 3.42's is very "snappy". Though I don't recommend doing it regularly (tire rating limitations) my 5.3 SLE will top out at 137 (Diablo removes speed limiter).

All that being said..."bang for the buck" says find a SLE with Max Tow to get the 3.42's for <$50k...do the Hennessey package for $10K. For a squeak over $60K you end up with a sleeper that will run like a bandit and be reliable with great street manners. Consider also that Hennessey gives you a 3/36000 warranty on the power train. I would suspect that other shops will do the same. Consider that Sewell in Texas and I think Hendricks dealers sell the Hennessey packages and honor the warranty.

Another option I have heard of but have not confirmed is to buy a Yukon SLE/SLT thru an agent in Mexico. Yukons and Tahoes for export can be had with the 6.2/8 speed. I have actually seen a standard bed single cab Sierra Pick Up with a 6.2/8 speed (not available in the US 2016) that was purchased in Mexico and brought into Texas. This will require some investigation but might get you what you want also.

Sometimes you have to subvert the system for your own good.

There is more than one way to skin a cat !! LOL

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys! The Max tow was a definite must on a SLT if i went that route. I will have to check out those dealerships you mentinoed. Never thought of dealerships actually having those types of mods available. Thanks again guys and keep the feedback coming. I guess the main likes about the Denali that cant be optioned on an SLT are the mag ride, HUD, and large digital gauge cluster although i think i saw where some are actually reprogramming those and installing htem. The HUD and mag ride arent really dealbreakers for me. The main reason i want the SLT is for the ventilated seats up front. LOL.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason i want the SLT is for the ventilated seats up front. LOL.

Yeah...my wife liked that too...but we weren't willing to pay the price spread to get it...I do wish we has passenger side vertical adjustment and memory seats !!

nj16yukon

Reaction score
I just bought a pre-owned '16 XL Denali with about 13k miles, for less than I would have paid on a new SLT. Assuming TrueCar is accurate for my area, it was on the order of several thousand less. Send me a PM if you want the specifics of my deal for reference.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is the additional cost of premium fuel. The supercharger will require it with no room for error. The 6.2 in the Denali can run run on regular fuel if it has to. I have been thinking about supercharging our SLT vs trading up to a Denali. I am leaning toward the supercharger. It would be a sleeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
UATahoe

UATahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main thing right now is seeing how the new incentives will play out. I am sure there will be something in April. Right now there is nothing. Seems like the norm is to get about 12k off MSRP for the Denalis at the larger dealerships. Not sure if the SLT would be the same.

paulb55

Reaction score
Dont forget the APR. We were going with Denali at 1.9%, then Cadi offered 0% on 60 months. that closed the gap so much it made sense to go cadi

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys! The Max tow was a definite must on a SLT if i went that route. I will have to check out those dealerships you mentinoed. Never thought of dealerships actually having those types of mods available. Thanks again guys and keep the feedback coming. I guess the main likes about the Denali that cant be optioned on an SLT are the mag ride, HUD, and large digital gauge cluster although i think i saw where some are actually reprogramming those and installing htem. The HUD and mag ride arent really dealbreakers for me. The main reason i want the SLT is for the ventilated seats up front. LOL.

I forgot to mention...If you're financing a new SLE or SLT and go with Sewell in Texas, they can roll the Hennessee deal into the deal. I think they call it "Special Dealer Equipment" or something like that. I also have an old High School friend Tony Bramlett in Decatur Alabama (Bramlett Buick/Cadillac/GMC) that might be willing to deal with you on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon