5.3L Performance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by fozzi58, Jun 5, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Glocksub

Glocksub Full Access Member

Name:
    JM
    According to two dealers here in the southeast, GM stopped accepting orders for 2017 tahoes last week, so I'm not sure how or if that effects the suburban or Yukon XL. One dealer stated that he thought the earlier than normal cutoff on 2017 tahoes was due to the upcoming 2018 RST offering, but he hadn't had that info confirmed by GM.

Essentially if someone was waiting until the end of the year for a deal on a leftover 2017, you may find yourself left with little to no selection....at least in the case of a Chevy Tahoe.

2. fozzi58

fozzi58 TYF Newbie

Name:
    fozzi58
    When I see "Denali" I immediately think 6.2L and 8l80 trans. The 5.3L won't make as much power and with max HP on the 6l80 rated at 476hp, I think the idea of a twin turbo or even a single is out the window unless I am OK with the 6L80 exploding sometime in the future. I really liked the Apocolypse TT setup they did on a family Denali but again even the 550HP I am hoping for will probably make metal shavings out of the 6l80 trans.

I need to consider that while dropping $10k to make 600+HP would be sick, I have a drivetrain that needs to support that power. Trans, driveshaft, rear. I still don't have the truck and parting with $50k+ on a new 'Burb reduces my ability to add toys so I am still searching the used lots for a newer one.

3. chadandhistahoe

chadandhistahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Chad
    I'd just save the money and save for a Denali and call it a day. But I guess if everyone were like me, the aftermarket performance market would die. I just can't see the point in dropping $10k in something to make it faster when GM offers a better faster version of the vehicle.

4. swathdiver

swathdiver Member

Name:
    James
    The 8L90 is rated for 650 HP and 635 FT LBS of torque. I'm certain the aftermarket can bump that up. Art Carr and Kenne Bell products allowed us to push that much HP and even more torque through the 200R4 twenty five years ago.