5.3 runs very rough under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe 210,000 miles. Engine starts right up and idles smooth in park. In park engine revs freely with no hesitation or noise. In drive the engine is smooth if you keep the throttle low enough to keep RPMs under about 1800-2000. Give it any more throttle and the engine vibrates, has no power, and pings badly. To get to 60 mph on flat ground takes about half a mile or longer of light throttle. Drives along fairly smoothly in overdrive at around 55-60 mpg and 1800 rpm.

The only engine code is for a MAF sensor which I have replaced, and the usual gas cap code.

Any ideas?

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are the fuel trims doing? if u have an iPhone or an android phone you can get an EL M3 to seven and figure out what you feel trims are doing for about 35 bucks. Once you find out what your fuel trims are doing you will be able to deduce exactly what the problem is

elm327

i connect it to my laptop

Last edited:

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can test for blocked catalytic converter's by going to your local cheap hardware store and buying a temperature gun laser thingy. Take the temperature right before the catalytic converter and take the temperature after the catalytic converter if your catalytic converter is plugged it will be much hotter on the upstream side of the converter because the exhaust basically stops flowing afterwards. Personally I doubt that's the issue.

but for $15 check it and report back

OP
OP
C

Craig C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Soon as it warms up a little I will get out and give them a look see.

OP
OP
C

Craig C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I finally got decent weather to test some things out. The codes it has are for P0178 Flex fuel sensor and P0441 incorrect purge flow. According to autozone's whizbang computer troubleshooter that points to a bad fuel tank preassure sensor. Not an expensive part but Im not yet sure I have enough clearance with the tools I have to get the tank down and out to check/replace. Weird troubleshooting process cause I was first puzzled by the P0178 cause there is no indication that this is a flex fuel engine anywhere.

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work so far craig. have you driven under load to recreate the stumble and seen a fuel pressure drop? typically i tape the fuel pressure gauge to the window and go for a drive.

So I finally got decent weather to test some things out. The codes it has are for P0178 Flex fuel sensor and P0441 incorrect purge flow. According to autozone's whizbang computer troubleshooter that points to a bad fuel tank preassure sensor. Not an expensive part but Im not yet sure I have enough clearance with the tools I have to get the tank down and out to check/replace. Weird troubleshooting process cause I was first puzzled by the P0178 cause there is no indication that this is a flex fuel engine anywhere.

OP
OP
C

Craig C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to track down gauge tomorrow, didnt find one in our little town today. In reading about both of the error codes everything I have said so far that neither sensor should have much of an effect on drivability, but maybe both together I guess. Had forgotten how long since fuel filter had been changed but it was about 12k miles ago.

OP
OP
C

Craig C

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So had some other things to do and had the battery unhooked for a couple hours. When I hooked it back up the only code I have now is the P0440 (gas cap) code. The truck is running a little better, I would say about 25% better. I can accelerate slightly faster than I have been able to before. I had also cleaned the connector on the flex fuel sensor.
Maybe can get a ride somewhere tomorrow that will have fuel preassure gauge.