5.3 or 6.0?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Jarrett McClune, Nov 13, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Jarrett McClune

Jarrett McClune TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jarrett
    Hey guys, so I've have two different 5.3s an L59 and an LM7, Positive things for both, but I'll get to the point, I'm looking for something to build over the winter into spring. I don't know if I want to find another 5.3, or buy my buddies 6.0 (LQ4) for 150 and have to tear it all down anyways since there's an unaddressed issue with it. I'm just looking for feedback as to what engine will make more power easier, and be reliable at the same time. Thankyou!

2. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    I'd get the 6.0, just because it's so cheap. I paid $850 for mine with 105,000, which was a really good price. What year is it, mileage, and what's the issue it has.

swathdiver likes this.
  3. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Go LQ4 and turn it into an LQ9.

HiHoeSilver and Tonyrodz like this.
  4. zraffz

zraffz Member

Name:
    Josh
    What is this unaddressed issue with the 6.0? If it's oil pressure related, you probably don't want it... I have personally seen two spin cam bearings and waste the block.

6.0>5.3 If you want tremendous amount of top end power go with LQ9 flat tops (preferably 2006+ which are usually fly cut) and rectangle port heads off the 6.2.

5. Jarrett McClune

Name:
    Jarrett

6. Jarrett McClune

Name:
    Jarrett
    Also, not sure what's wrong with the 6.0, possibly hydro locked is what he said, but you never really know

7. Jarrett McClune

Name:
    Jarrett
    I like how you think

Dekindre17 and swathdiver like this.
  8. Jarrett McClune

Name:
    Jarrett

From what I've heard it's hydro locked, but not 100%

9. zraffz

zraffz Member

Name:
    Josh
    Hydro locked can be very bad from water or coolant; rust on the cylinder walls, crank, pitted bearings, bent rods, etc.

Locked can be a broken rod; damaged lower portion of the cylinder wall/block. Usually this isn't an issue because the skirt doesn't travel this far down but it depends on a per basis occurrence.

A 6.0 will ALWAYS make more torque and the same power at a lower RPM over a comparably built 5.3. The 317 heads off the 6.0 outflow the 799? 5.3 heads so they are at a bigger advantage. I've never wasted my time building a 5.3 because I've always been after the most power I can obtain on a budget (these are max effort "cam" only motors mainly that spin 7,300 RPMs).

10. Jarrett McClune

Name:
    Jarrett

Awesome, I figured I'd try a 6.0 out since it's stock power wouldn't really matter since I plan on building it. Wanted to ask some people with more experience with the 6.0 since I've worked only on the 4.8 and 5.3, thankyou very much for the fast, knowledgeable answers!