5.3 liter HP Ratings Tahoe vs. Yukon????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal96Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know....Why is the same corporate small block LM rated at 320HP in Tahoe and 310HP in Yukon on regular no- lead and the same 326 HP on E85 for both?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know....Why is the same corporate small block LM rated at 320HP in Tahoe and 310HP in Yukon on regular no- lead and the same 326 HP on E85 for both?

Because the Yukon looks like a big mini van from the front so they made it slower.... and E85 gives you more power but less MPG.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just tuning to probably comply with CAFE standards and maybe for durability with the aluminum block. I reckon that you have a regular length Suburban or Yukon XL, 2007-2009 with the LC9? According to my notes, the LMG in the same trucks are 320 hp and they are in the 2WD models while the 4WD got the LC9.

I see you're from the cradle of muzzleloaders, shoot any?

OP
OP
H

Hal96Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's just tuning to probably comply with CAFE standards and maybe for durability with the aluminum block. I reckon that you have a regular length Suburban or Yukon XL, 2007-2009 with the LC9? According to my notes, the LMG in the same trucks are 320 hp and they are in the 2WD models while the 4WD got the LC9.

Thanks for the reply.
Standard length YUKON, 4WD SLT, 20 inch polished aluminum wheels, 3.42 rear, all the c&C options (previously owned by a doctor). I'll look for the build options sticker which should list the engine code. On my other GM vehicles(all Chevys) it is under the hood or on the drivers door, just looked and not in those two locatons

All my firearms are centerfire or rimfire.. but muzzle loaders are readily available in the area.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Standard length YUKON, 4WD SLT, 20 inch polished aluminum wheels, 3.42 rear, all the c&C options (previously owned by a doctor). I'll look for the build options sticker which should list the engine code. On my other GM vehicles(all Chevys) it is under the hood or on the drivers door, just looked and not in those two locatons

All my firearms are centerfire or rimfire.. but muzzle loaders are readily available in the area.

RPO sticker is in the glove box.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The regular length trucks are the long ones. The term SUV and the short 4-door models showed up long after the originals went into production. Most people are too young to remember or never payed attention. What year Yukon are you looking at or did you buy it already?

Bucks County, Pennsylvania is the cradle of muzzleloading. In that area and surrounding counties is where the settlers first started building muskets and rifles in America.

bryank97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have a 2007 Tahoe 4X4 with the 5.3 LMG, Which means its a flex fuel, with and iron block
My mom has a 2008 Suburban 4X2 with the LY5, Non flex, and iron block

I assumed they were both 320 HP

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hal96Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not according to GM official website for LMG engine which shows 310 for Yukon and 320 for Tahoe on regular gas which is what prompted my original question. On E85 shows 326 HP for both vehicles... go figure!

bryank97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is odd, Mechanically Id be willing to bet they are identical

I find it odd that the Silverado and Sierra 5.3s made 315 hp, vs the Tahoe and Suburban made 320 hp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN