5.3 Liter-Does it have an actual PCV Valve somewhere, or just 2 tubes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amanda4461

Reaction score
Since I am preparing for a trip up North of over 2,000 miles, I thought it was a good time to do some overdue maintenance work on my 2010 4wd Tahoe. New brakes, new Air Filter, cleaned throttle body and vacuumed the grit from the air box, serviced both differentials and transfer case, changed transmission fluid & filter, new plugs and wires, new belts, flushed radiator & replaced fluid, flushed brake system and replaced all fluid. Went to the dealer to buy a filter for the oil pressure/lifter galley, and asked for a new PCV valve. Parts guy said the 5.3 had two sections of tubing, but no PCV valve. I bought one piece of tubing and he ordered the other. He had printed out the schematic showing the tubing and he gave it to me. I just now looked at the tubing I purchased (driver's side) and it is just a hollow tube. Looking at the "2009-2014 CK1 ENGINE ASM-5.3L V8 PART 2 CYLINDER HEAD & RELATED PARTS SCHEMATIC", it is item #716. Although I asked for new grommets, he couldn't find them. If I am correct, the schematic shows Item # 902 as the grommet and Item #900 looks like a PCV valve. Anybody know if this is the case? If so, I'll order them online, since I couldn't make any headway at the Parts Dept. Parts guy also ordered Item #700, the tube on the Passenger side, which I just got through removing and replacing to clean the throttle body and replace the air filter. It has a grommet in the plastic intake header box downstream of the MAF sensor, but the grommet doesn't show on this schematic. I mainly want to know if the engine has a true PCV valve, and since the truck is 100 miles away right now, I can't look to see for myself. I can find the grommets online eventually, or go to another Chevy dealer down the highway if necessary.
Thanks for your help!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
No pcv valve on these trucks.... It just has baffles in the drivers side valve cover... There was an updated valve cover that improved the baffle design supposedly but the best thing to do is a catch can.

OP
OP
A

Amanda4461

Reaction score
The filter is a $5.00 screen that is located directly below the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the driver's side valve cover up top. It plugs up and the oil sending unit shows low to zero oil pressure on the dash, and the DIC tells you to turn off the motor. I believe it is in the passageway that feeds the AFM Lifters, but I am not positive. I am positive that you will get a low oil pressure alert and gauge reading when it plugs up. If it also reduces flow to the AFM Lifter, I would assume bad things will happen. Perhaps someone who knows the flow path will chime in.

kbuskill

Reaction score
All this ^^^ is true but as a note only the AFM engines have this screen. It can also just be removed as others have done and I plan to do since it seems redundant.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The screen is only on afm. And I don't see a real problem with replacing it in an afm setting. It it gets clogged, that means it saved your lifters from that crud inside. A better solution than removing it in my mind is to do an acctual AFM delete.

kbuskill

Reaction score
The screen is only on afm. And I don't see a real problem with replacing it in an afm setting. It it gets clogged, that means it saved your lifters from that crud inside. A better solution than removing it in my mind is to do an acctual AFM delete.

I have mine tuned out at the moment but would love to physically delete it and upgrade the cam eventually.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a cam I would recomend geoff at EPS. With dual valve spring and over .600 lift my cam is still just as quiet as stock as far as valve train noise.

kbuskill

Reaction score
If you want a cam I would recomend geoff at EPS. With dual valve spring and over .600 lift my cam is still just as quiet as stock as far as valve train noise.

I don't want to go too big and bumpy, after all its the wife's ride. If I ever get to that point I will probably swap it out for something like what we used to call an RV or towing cam, something with a little more torque for the bottom end, after all its a big heavy truck not a light weight race car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat