4x4 switch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 1998 Yukon has a push-button selector for 4x4. The switch may be shorted because all of the lights (Neutral indication, 2hi, 4hi, 4lo, & 4auto) stay on until pressure is applied to the bezel surrounding it, then all the lights shut off. Would this be a result of a short? If so, should I replace the switch or would i have better luck replacing the wiring harness?

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Pull the fuses for both first, and see if a "reset" helps.

Does it still shift into 4wd?

OP
OP
K

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pull the fuses for both first, and see if a "reset" helps.

Does it still shift into 4wd?
I've checked the fuses and they're all good. I even replaced the 4x4 one for good measure. Nothing happens when I push the buttons. I put it into neutral and nothing happens. I can't hear any sound. The service 4x4 light is also on, I don't think I mentioned that earlier. Thanks

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I've checked the fuses and they're all good. I even replaced the 4x4 one for good measure. Nothing happens when I push the buttons. I put it into neutral and nothing happens. I can't hear any sound. The service 4x4 light is also on, I don't think I mentioned that earlier. Thanks

It might be the switch, but I wouldn't rush off to replace it just yet. I am having a similar problem, and it seems that the switch and the motor position sensor on these both fail at about 100-150k

I followed this thread :

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/82874-service-4wd-c0327/

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I pulled the 4wd in the cabin fuse (which is for the switch) and left it out for a minute, and pulled the one in the engine bay, which can be labeled as a few different things, I think mine was labeled 'ATEC' When I did that, and then turned the truck to "on" the switch lit up, and you could push the 4wd gear selectors, and hear the motor activating. This actually "fixed" my problem for about an hour, and then it went back to the same. The buttons never lit up on my switch though, except when the system was furst turned on

OP
OP
K

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It might be the switch, but I wouldn't rush off to replace it just yet. I am having a similar problem, and it seems that the switch and the motor position sensor on these both fail at about 100-150k

I followed this thread :

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/82874-service-4wd-c0327/
My truck is at 245 miles, so I'm pretty sure if it's gonna go out, it would have done so by now, and I'm sure it did. A new switch isn't that expensive, I might get one online and see if that helps. If not, it may be the tccm because those tend to go out on these trucks as well.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does the same thing (press on the bezel and the lights are on) i have to press the bezel then switch the 4x4 mode and it works..

OP
OP
K

Koby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I swapped the fuse, I forgot to mention that it was a spare one that was in the fuse compartment. So today I got a brand new fuse and swapped it in and this is what happens:

1) When the truck ignition is turned to ON (not running), all the lights come on.

2) when the truck is started, only the Neutral, 2hi, and 4lo lights remain lit.

3) about ten seconds after the truck has been running, the 4lo light goes out, leaving only the Neutral and 2hi lights on.

4) when I shift out of park, the remaining two lights go out.

I hope someone knows if this is a code or not, I'm going to check online some to see if this pattern of lights going off mean anything, just wanted to keep anyone else following this thread updated.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if the service 4wd light is on in the ip panel then there is an active code to be scanned on the 4wdcomputer itself and will need a scanner capable of scanning that unit directly. maybe ask the dealer to use there tech2 scanner.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I get the "service 4wd" in the I do panel, but I can't get any codes to pull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts