4x4 binding up?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my transfer case, and replaced my front differential. So I’m testing it out, on dry concrete and it feels like it’s binding up in all modes except auto4wd Now keep in mind I’ve never known what it’s supposed to feel like since I’ve owned it the 4wd has been messed up so I really have no point of reference as to how it’s supposed to feel. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just replaced my transfer case, and replaced my front differential. So I’m testing it out, on dry concrete and it feels like it’s binding up in all modes except auto4wd Now keep in mind I’ve never known what it’s supposed to feel like since I’ve owned it the 4wd has been messed up so I really have no point of reference as to how it’s supposed to feel. Any help would be appreciated!

Should definitely not be driving in 4wd on dry pavement.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should definitely not be driving in 4wd on dry pavement.

Yea I kinda figured that, I just thought that it would feel differently, just didn’t feel quite right

edonwheels73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you're talking about when turning that's normal on pavement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about when turning that's normal on pavement.

Yea that was a big part of what I was talking about. It did feel better when going in a straight line. But it did still feel weird. I guess I was expecting it to pretty much feel the same as if it was in two wheel drive. I’m kinda wondering if the front diff I put in might have been the wrong gearing.

edonwheels73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea that was a big part of what I was talking about. It did feel better when going in a straight line. But it did still feel weird. I guess I was expecting it to pretty much feel the same as if it was in two wheel drive. I’m kinda wondering if the front diff I put in might have been the wrong gearing.

And the reason you didn't feel it in auto is because the front doesn't engage unless the back tires spin.

AmberBeauTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 98 Tahoe is the first 4x4 I've ever owned and I thought it felt the same exact way you described. It's not binding up, it's just gripping. ;) It doesn't feel like its binding up in auto 4wd cause in auto it stays in 2wd until you start to spin, then 4wd kicks in. When you stop spinning it goes back into 2wd. LOL these are things I learned on my own through trial and error and google the past few weeks. Also, on some trucks when you're coming out of 4x4 you gotta put it in reverse after you switch back to 2wd and back up 10-15 feet or you'll stay locked in 4wd. Assuming all your stuff is electronic and automatic.