4th Gen Apple TV AirPlay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TechSupport

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol no wires coming off the iPhone. AirPlay makes its own wifi/Bluetooth network for Apple devices to talk to each other.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
He took the HDMI out on the apple tv - converted it to RCA, hooked it up thru the center console's RCA input.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh.... Ok.. Fiatdale...that helps!!! Thank you!

OP
OP
TechSupport

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was splice into the harness that connects to the RCA jacks using an old RCA cable and an HDMI to RCA converter. There was also a switched 12v power source there so I used that to power the Apple TV. I added a power switch also this was the Apple TV was only on when I wanted it to be and it let me still use the RCA jacks if I wanted to.

OP
OP
TechSupport

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try and open it back up and take a few pictures this weekend.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I tried that I'd end up burning the car down

rgctech

Reaction score
View attachment 62915 View attachment 62916 So I installed a 4th gen Apple TV in my 16 platinum. And yes AirPlay works without having a wifi network. I'm grandfathered with unlimited data with AT&T for my iPhone and iPad so this helps with music and movie streaming.

So the apple tv creates its own wifi network for streaming purposes only? In the picture it shows you are connected to wifi on your phone (perhaps the Onstar wifi enabling airplay). on apples websites it says "Wireless video streaming requires 802.11a, b, g, n, or ac". Not trying to doubt you I just want to make sure airplay works 100% without wifi before i go out and purchase one. At the moment I am using a wired connection with a hdmi/lighting adapter to mirror my iphone screen. Thanks

OP
OP
TechSupport

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the apple tv creates its own wifi network for streaming purposes only? In the picture it shows you are connected to wifi on your phone (perhaps the Onstar wifi enabling airplay). on apples websites it says "Wireless video streaming requires 802.11a, b, g, n, or ac". Not trying to doubt you I just want to make sure airplay works 100% without wifi before i go out and purchase one. At the moment I am using a wired connection with a hdmi/lighting adapter to mirror my iphone screen. Thanks

I have a video I made, but I need to upload it to Vimeo or YouTube first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu