4L60 to 4L80e Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So far I love it! The power is a night and day difference from the stock 5.3/4L60 combo. I'm still running the stock 4L80e converter for now with a 2400 stall. Might change that later on. I lucked out and the tranny I got only had about 60k miles on it. May need a rebuild at some time, but for the price of free, I can't complain! The engine build already cost me $4k, so additional upgrades will have to be a bit down the road.

I have 3.73 posi rear end for now. Going to build that up later too. The custom CAM we had ground is already setup for the turbo I want to add. So still room for improvements, but lots of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey Bpopilek , Holycrap Bud you might be making me week , or maybe my month...What did you pull the front and rear driveshafts out of to make it work in your 80e swap and also just to be sure and safe with the info , Front and rear driveshafts should accept 32 spline input/outputs from the transfer case ??? I hope I didn't just make that part confusing... I would appreciate your input on this topic as well as anything else you'd like to share . I'm just about to start my 4L80e swap this weekend but I've been waiting on making any moves with the driveshafts because there is so little information out there for our particular swaps and what is out there has not very little for details , basically just what the did , not how he did it . ANYWAY long story short I would like to not have to cut these D.shafts if I don't have to and I've always felt that there had to be a front and rear driveshaft from factory that would fit mine due to the engine/trans combination that were available , maybe a 08 and up Yukon , Tahoe , Escalade ? Not sure what your running for transfer case but I'm a 2004 Yukon Denali w/6.0 w/4l65e , Transfer case is Borg Warner 4481 or (AKA) BW4481 its AWD all the time . I'm not going to be running the bw4481 I bought a used BW4485 which is the stronger , tougher brother of the bw4481 . It's got larger sprockets , wider chain , and the infamous 32 spline input/output shaft that is needed to marry the 4l80e to the transfer case and make this all work...Thanks in advance Bpopilek , Appreciate it...

Boosted Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry guys I dun messed up on setting the message up from the proper reply previously sent by Bpopliek , regarding , driveshaft and cross members...Complete Newb mistake , never got chance to get good on forums...More posts , less stupid newb posts lol

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I love it! The power is a night and day difference from the stock 5.3/4L60 combo. I'm still running the stock 4L80e converter for now with a 2400 stall. Might change that later on. I lucked out and the tranny I got only had about 60k miles on it. May need a rebuild at some time, but for the price of free, I can't complain! The engine build already cost me $4k, so additional upgrades will have to be a bit down the road.

I have 3.73 posi rear end for now. Going to build that up later too. The custom CAM we had ground is already setup for the turbo I want to add. So still room for improvements, but lots of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know this is a old red butt what vehicle does the 4 L 80 come in that it has a 2400 RPM stall from the factory?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a old red butt what vehicle does the 4 L 80 come in that it has a 2400 RPM stall from the factory?
My 4l80 came from an 08 express van and it had a 24-2500 stall. It's a 300mm converter I believe. Heavy as hell and why I didn't use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4l80 came from an 08 express van and it had a 24-2500 stall. It's a 300mm converter I believe. Heavy as hell and why I didn't use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
Okay cool I was just wondering which Factory ones had an actual stall because I've heard of people using the converter out of a 4-cylinder S10 before but that was it

Tristint2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Bpopilek , Holycrap Bud you might be making me week , or maybe my month...What did you pull the front and rear driveshafts out of to make it work in your 80e swap and also just to be sure and safe with the info , Front and rear driveshafts should accept 32 spline input/outputs from the transfer case ??? I hope I didn't just make that part confusing... I would appreciate your input on this topic as well as anything else you'd like to share . I'm just about to start my 4L80e swap this weekend but I've been waiting on making any moves with the driveshafts because there is so little information out there for our particular swaps and what is out there has not very little for details , basically just what the did , not how he did it . ANYWAY long story short I would like to not have to cut these D.shafts if I don't have to and I've always felt that there had to be a front and rear driveshaft from factory that would fit mine due to the engine/trans combination that were available , maybe a 08 and up Yukon , Tahoe , Escalade ? Not sure what your running for transfer case but I'm a 2004 Yukon Denali w/6.0 w/4l65e , Transfer case is Borg Warner 4481 or (AKA) BW4481 its AWD all the time . I'm not going to be running the bw4481 I bought a used BW4485 which is the stronger , tougher brother of the bw4481 . It's got larger sprockets , wider chain , and the infamous 32 spline input/output shaft that is needed to marry the 4l80e to the transfer case and make this all work...Thanks in advance Bpopilek , Appreciate it...
Did you finish this swap? How did it go? Any issues? I've got a 44-82. Hoping it'll work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts