4 wheel high feel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66stingray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
since i bought my yukon in July I never had the opportunity to shift it into 4 wheel high. I have always kept it in 2 wheel drive mode per instructions from the dealer.

I recently decided to shift the drivetrain to 4 wheel high to make sure it works and also to get a feel for the truck. I made sure I switched while parked and gave the drivetrain a chance to shift. Immediatley afterwards, the truck was really groaning/grinding while making turns, almost like the diffs were locking up. I was shocked as how much noise the diffs were making. I did this with no snow or mud on the ground and not driving over 40 for a short distance.

Is everyone else experincing this or what? Ive had a 4x4 suv before but it was full time awd and never groaned this way. Well, actually it did. Right after i changed the rear diff if was grinding/moaning but after a short while, it loosed up and felt fine afterwards.

tdriver113

Reaction score
If you drive on dry pavement in 4 wheel high range the drive train can bind up and cause vibration and noise. It's recommended on loose surfaces only. Snow, mud, or off road.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read owners manual, no 4wd on dry pavement......no reason to...ever.... unless u need to pull something and need more grip, but dont turn the wheel....ever....on dry pavement.....in 4wd......ever......ever.....ever

nj16yukon

Reaction score
Figured I would piggy-back on this thread rather than start a new one...I used 4WD High to get out of my driveway after the recent storm here in the NE. Forgot that I was still in 4WD a drove a few blocks on dry pavement. I really thought something was wrong when making a turn; with the cold weather I was sure I had a stuck caliper or something. Didn't realize how careful you have to be with these 4WD systems (I'm in a 2016 Yukon XL). Can this cause damage in the short distance I drove?

My next mistake was thinking "Auto" mode meant 2WD, unless 4WD was needed (like so many of the "AWD" cars/SUVs on the market today). Apparently that's incorrect? Should I be leaving it in 2WD all the time, unless conditions really call for something different? Thanks in advance!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured I would piggy-back on this thread rather than start a new one...I used 4WD High to get out of my driveway after the recent storm here in the NE. Forgot that I was still in 4WD a drove a few blocks on dry pavement. I really thought something was wrong when making a turn; with the cold weather I was sure I had a stuck caliper or something. Didn't realize how careful you have to be with these 4WD systems (I'm in a 2016 Yukon XL). Can this cause damage in the short distance I drove?

My next mistake was thinking "Auto" mode meant 2WD, unless 4WD was needed (like so many of the "AWD" cars/SUVs on the market today). Apparently that's incorrect? Should I be leaving it in 2WD all the time, unless conditions really call for something different? Thanks in advance!

As long its not making noise now, i believe you are fine, but, im not riding in your truck and i cant feel or hear what your truck is doing.
Driving in auto does no harm, imo, its basically locking the hubs and not pulling a lever into 4wd. An Extended period of time, yes, but for the short term i believe you are ok also, but again, i am not there.
2wd for everyday, auto and 4hi for snowy/slushy conditions(some like auto for rain also)
It would hard for anyone to say you are perfectly fine over the internet so since the truck is still new, and has a warranty for the powertrain, it wouldn't do any harm to bring into your dealer to have a look. just tell them you heard something when you put it in 4wd, you dont have to go into detail.
All of this is in the manual, or online. I hope i helped ease your mind a little and helped a little.
Good luck with the truck

nj16yukon

Reaction score
Thanks Pete, appreciate the feedback. Everything seems normal back in 2WD, but not a bad idea to have the dealer check the 4WD systems. I guess I was just surprised how erratic the behavior was in 4WD on dry pavement, but I've read about others experiencing this same "binding" sensation when turning. Thanks again for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14