4 pin to 7 pin trailer connector upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon96

Reaction score
Due to the company I work for purchasing all new trailers, I installed a 7 pin connector to accommodate the change. I connected Brown-Tail/Running Lights, Green-Right Turn/Brake, Yellow-Left Turn/Brake, Light Green/Reverse, and White-Ground. The White-Ground was not connected to anything from the 4 pin connector, however, I connected it to the white wire of the trucks trailer connector wire harness. It caused the Hazard/Stop fuse to blow when I applied the brakes. Everything else works fine. I disconnected the White-Ground wire and brake lights work without blowing the fuse. Why does it show it as ground, but is apparently not needed? Also, the new trailers have brake assist. Is there a kit I can get to activate that, or is the Blue and/or orange wire tied up in the existing harness for that? Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
Well, I've decided not to install brake assist anyway, Because I won't be towing any trailers big enough to require it, by law. Judging from the total lack of responses to this thread, I'm guessing no one here tows much with these trucks.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tow plenty with these trucks so I'm not sure why nobody responded. I don't know the answer to your question as to the wiring.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Red Rocket. No insult intended. Just thought somebody might of had an experience with this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the NBS have 7 pin connectors and I use a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. Not sure if there's 4 pin to 7 pin adapters.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
I did go ahead and purchase the 7 pin upgrade kit. The only issue I had with it was when I connected the white, (ground), to the trucks white wire, according to the instructions, it blew the Stop/Hazard fuse. So I disconnected it, and it seems to work fine now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low