4.2 to 8in upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenelliBlonde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is very odd. The only way this could happen is if someone upgraded your truck from the 4.2" to the 8" system. Just to make sure we're on the same page, you checked the sticker in your glovebox and you see the IO3 coding?

Actually no, I haven't checked the glovebox. I ran the compnine.com report to get the build sheet. Ill go check the rpo codes on the sticker in a bit. My truck is just kind of an oddball all together. It's an LS but has 8" screen, chrome grill and door handles, heated leather & dvd. I'm not sure what all may have been added afterwards. As I said, I just bought it on Saturday so it's all new to me. It would seem someone went out of their way to fancy up an LS. (The pillar badges have been removed.) I just assumed it was an LT until my credit union ran the VIN for the loan. :p

BenelliBlonde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I have my answer. I was just going through the papers that came with the truck and found a manual for a Rosen GM series 5 system, so that answers that. Uhg.

Well, does anyone know about this system/how it works/what upgrades are available? I still don't know how to play music from my phone and it's making me crazy.

Kodi Shipkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys first post here,

i formerly worked for MVI if i can be of any help with answering questions regarding products or upgrade solutions please feel free to reach out to me.

Awesome! So I got a question - I have a 2015 Tahoe with i03 4.2 screen and wanting to upgrade to 8' screen along with an upgraded factory system (i05 or better), I've found a few salvage 8' factory systems exactly how I want mine to be. Can I just do a swap out? I'm not sure if that's doable or not.... Plus any place that sells the upgrades kits also request your VIN for configuration purposes - is there a way we can bypass that without a VIN????

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you go back and get the VIN off of the salvage vehicle?

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! So I got a question - I have a 2015 Tahoe with i03 4.2 screen and wanting to upgrade to 8' screen along with an upgraded factory system (i05 or better), I've found a few salvage 8' factory systems exactly how I want mine to be. Can I just do a swap out? I'm not sure if that's doable or not.... Plus any place that sells the upgrades kits also request your VIN for configuration purposes - is there a way we can bypass that without a VIN????

The short answer with regards to doing a swap out is yes. However, you can't simply take the 8" screen and throw it into your truck - that's only one sliver of the pie. In addition to 8" screen, you would need the HMICM (located behind the glove box), radio brain (located at the base of your existing IO3 setup) and all the required wiring harnesses (which I haven't a clue which ones you need) to connect everything back to together. As for the VIN number, I'm almost certain you would need to have your VIN programmed into the new setup to make everything work, but I'm not positive. Keep us posted if you're able to make this work.

EDIT: In addition to the above, if you add NAV, you'd need to grab the GPS antenna as well - I'm almost certain that our IO3 setups don't have the antenna pre-installed.

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to look in the Law Enforcement/PPV section up above as I believe someone may have done the swap.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had the 4" screen as well. I was able to purchase a new screen and module from MVI. The screen does not need to programmed to your truck, just the module. I did not add NAV, but is very easy to add on from what their videos show. Mine is still working flawlessly.

I will say that you need some type of skill when installing this. Soldering/Trim removal are the two biggest things, otherwise easy installation. They supply you with a YouTube video tutorial. You are saving yourself about $400 by having the screen already.

stas2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What would i need to upgrade the 4 inch screen to 8 inch screen on 2017 suburban? I dont need any nav or fancy features, just want to be able to see the back up camera on bigger screen. The 4 inch screen is too small to be able to see anything on the back up cam.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would i need to upgrade the 4 inch screen to 8 inch screen on 2017 suburban? I dont need any nav or fancy features, just want to be able to see the back up camera on bigger screen. The 4 inch screen is too small to be able to see anything on the back up cam.

Contact MVI. They will give you everything you need for installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts