4.2 to 8in upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was without NAV. I think it was a little bit more. I know the only thing that would need to be added was an antenna and programming, which would have been very easy. The HMI with NAV has one additional port. No need for NAV when you have cell phones. I honestly wish I would have done the phone mirroring. It can be added, but I will wait.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was without NAV. I think it was a little bit more. I know the only thing that would need to be added was an antenna and programming, which would have been very easy. The HMI with NAV has one additional port. No need for NAV when you have cell phones. I honestly wish I would have done the phone mirroring. It can be added, but I will wait.

Pittz - did you by chance add CarPlay? If not, do you know how much it would cost to upgrade to CarPlay? Thanks!

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have it. If I am reading the website correctly, it is $850. I am not sure if it would be cheaper since I have some of the harnesses already. I have been texting them a lot about various things. i may ask them how much it would be to add it now.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the screen has gone blank and I have no power. I moved the vehicle for my wife and know for a fact that it worked because I needed to use the back up camera. She went to go drive it and told me that the screen was blank. I unhooked the battery, but still nothing. The dash/cluster just says "audio off". The motorized screen still goes up and down.

I am thinking it is a connection in the back somewhere, but unlikely. I am being hopeful!! I soldered, tapped, and zip tied everything together. The MVI guys were quick to respond and will do whatever it takes to get it working again. I find it just weird it worked flawlessly for a few weeks, then NOTHING. It could be the screen. If it is the HMI module, I know I can count on the MVI guys to send another. They sent me another screen rather quickly.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested all the power leading to the modules and head unit, all good. I have everything boxed and ready to ship back. I am thinking a module took a crap. I put everything back to stock until they get me new stuff back. They want to test everything themselves to see whats wrong.

If it happens again, I will ask for a refund. I can not keep taking apart my wife's dash. I checked fuses and grounds. They indicated it might be wiring, but I soldered everything like I have always done. Never any issues, plus it stopped working suddenly. I had power to the head unit, but nothing on the screen. We shall see!!

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately they are blaming it on my wiring. I refuse to believe that it worked perfectly for three weeks, then all of a sudden it just stopped working. I did nothing different from my day to day activities. I sent both modules and the head unit back for testing. They did bench testing and told me nothing was wrong with the modules. I will now have to take out all of the wiring and re-solder everything, per their instructions. I have soldered a ton of wiring, to include motorcycles and cars. I just installed my supercharger on my Jeep Srt8. I am no rookie. I do it very clean and professional.

Per their instructions, I will do what they ask, but if this happens again I will be asking for a full refund. Their web site says 1 year warranty and a 7 day return policy, but I will fight it need be with my credit card company.

They have been cool on shipping everything back and forth, but i was told that my purchase from them was a wash because of the back and forth. The first screw up was not my fault. The broken tab on the head unit was due to their packaging. We shall see how it goes after I do everything over again. I want it to work, but I am not sure if the truck is liking the change.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Suburban at work that they threw a aftermarket head unit into, with a aftermarket harness. The dash cluster says the same thing when it started going out... "audio off". The only difference is that if I unhook the battery, it comes back on. I just think that the Tahoe is not liking the aftermarket harness that MVI provides.

I have power to the head unit, but nothing is coming on the screen.