4.2 to 8in upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been emailing back and forth with a local shop here in my area to see about replacing my IO3 with an aftermarket system. According to the owner of the shop, he's upgrade an IO3 system - this brings me hope! I'm going to drop by and and get an estimate to have them replace this POS with something better. AND he tells me I can keep my factory back-up cam. <crossing my fingers>

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've simply had enough with this iO3 system... it's time for it to go! I pulled the trigger and I'm getting the factory radio replaced with an aftermarket system on the 28th of this month. According to the shop, they're confident that they can get my factory back-up cam to work with the head unit I picked. I'll post an update with some pictures after the 28th.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching Google and found that MVI Mobile succesfully upgraded an iO3 to an iO5!!!!

I just sent them an email to see what it'll take to upgrade my iO3. Is this too good to be true? <crossing my fingers>

Here's their video showing the conversion:

Last edited:

mcgahawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Outstanding!!! Fingers crossed hoping this actually works as well as it appears!! Anxiously waiting on your report!!![emoji120]

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good news! I've been talking to Anthony at MVI Mobile, and while he's never done one, he's very confident that he has the solution. I've cancelled my appointment to have the aftermarket radio installed and I'm going to work with Anthony to have my iO3 upgraded to the iO5. (I am not interested in NAV) I'll continue to post as I learn more.

mcgahawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some good news! I've been talking to Anthony at MVI Mobile, and while he's never done one, he's very confident that he has the solution. I've cancelled my appointment to have the aftermarket radio installed and I'm going to work with Anthony to have my iO3 upgraded to the iO5. (I am not interested in NAV) I'll continue to post as I learn more.

Sounding better and better!![emoji106] Thanks!!

Jgalarza1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any new updates?

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any new updates?

I received an message from Anthony last night - he says he will have estimates by Monday. I've requested three options - upgrade from iO3 to standard iO5, iO5 (no nav) with CarPlay and iO6 (nav) with CarPlay. While I'm not interested in nav, it may be worth having if it's a few more bucks... we'll see. Once I hear back, I'll post more.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very unfortunate news... Anthony at MVI never got back to me yesterday, as promised. I sent him a message indicating that I would not be moving forward with him. I'm going back to the aftermarket idea.

mcgahawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very unfortunate news... Anthony at MVI never got back to me yesterday, as promised. I sent him a message indicating that I would not be moving forward with him. I'm going back to the aftermarket idea.

Sorry to hear that... Good luck with the aftermarket plan. Please keep us posted!