2dr frame off questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2DR4EVR

Reaction score
Hello.....been a while since I posted. The 2 Dr has been parked for a while and I want to turn my attention back to it. Original owner 1996 LT 4WD. I have redone the interior with Katz skins and dropped a new motor in it a couple years ago. New beefed up transmission went in last 2 years ago. Ive put about a 100 miles on her in the past year. For the most part, everything works......but things are worn as expected in a 23 yr old truck.

So I ve always resided in salty coastal environments and its coming full circle. I peeked under the dash and I see everything is starting to coat in a fine rust. Same thing with the chassis. No holes or chunks missing......but its only a matter of time.

I want to start a rebuild to compliment the motor and interior. I think getting down to the frame is a good place to start. No point in dressing it up if the bones are going bad.

Has anyone done this or offer any advice? No way I could do this myself as much as I wish I could. I was thinking about one of these shops that offer restoration on old classics. I figure in 2 or 3 years the Tahoe will qualify for classic plates anyway.

I live in central Fl in cocoa beach.............longshot but if any members are from there and can recommend a shop that would be much appreciated.

I would like to add the only major problem Ive been battling for years is the p1870 code resulting in torque motor lock out. I put a brand new transmission in and yet it still throws this code when it gets super hot. Can't figure out why......I'm thinking it may be an electrical glitch at this point.

Thx for any input.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice truck. Sounds like you just need a new undercoating. Bed liner or POR-15 would work. You may have to ask around but I am sure you can find someone to do this job right for you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris, have you looked up in Daytona and Ormand Beach or over in Orlando? There's probably a shop in your area too and a few in mine I hear.

Walrusmt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like a great ride - I understand the desire to protect it and do it right.
Sounds like it's not your daily driver, so the options expand from there. I'm considering this myself.

For starters, you'll be hard pressed to find a step-by-step on the process, simply too much information and too many steps. That said, it can be done and has been discussed here on the forum.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/body-off-the-frame.40168/

The process is a long one, but not incredibly difficult, just slow. The thread above recommends supporting the body on tall jack stand with heavy boards supporting everything you want left. After that it's a matter of disconnecting stuff (also discussed in thread).

Realistically, this would take me a couple of months with how "life" happens. But the end result is you are able to gain access to places and protect them in ways you can not if the body is still there. You should be able to leave the drivetrain intact, so that's a plus for all the work you've done.

Please take pics, label items, and be thorough. These two door rigs are blasting up in value - I've seen some SELL on ebay north of $12K in stock trim and 150K miles. They are worth a ton more than the average 4 door models, and the scrap yards don't have any left. It's worth the restoration - especially if you do it yourself.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts