275/70/18 Goodyear DuraTrac on NNBS 2011 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoltz23

Reaction score
I finally got some new tires on the Tahoe and wanted to share my thoughts, reasons, and experience. My wife's DD is this 2011 Z71 Tahoe. When we first got it I put on a 2.5" level kit on the front and then added 1.5" and Air lift 1000's to the rear. I've been waiting for the BFG A/T's to wear out to go to a slightly larger tire. After a lot of research I decided that I wanted to try a 275/70/18 tire. I found a few guys who put this size on GM trucks but found very little info on this size on GM SUV's. This size measures just over 33" tall and a tread width of 8.7", section width of 11" on an 8" rim. So basically it's a narrow 33. I liked the specs on this size because it had the height I was looking for but had a narrower tread. Of course I like the look of a wide tire but since it's a DD for my wife I didn't want the added weight, drag, strain on the front end, or potential loss of traction on snow and ice by having a really wide tire. Plus this size is about $50-$80 cheaper a tire than 285's.

I narrowed it down the 3 tires. The new BFG A/t's, Hankook Dynapro AT-M and the Goodyear DuraTrac's. I've had several sets of BFG A/T's in the old style and it's a good tire, it's what was on the Tahoe previously and served well but I haven't seen enough reviews on the new tread design and although they are good on snow and ice in any type of mud they load up and become slicks. My only experience with the Hankook Dynapro AT-M's is they are currently on my DD, A 2011 Tundra and so far appear to be a great tire. They are wearing very well and from what I can tell are very similar to the BFG A/T's but at a lower price. I originally wasn't going to go with as aggressive of a tire as the DuraTrac's but I've had several set's of these and my experiences have been great. I guess that's why I keep going back to them. They wear and ride great, they are quieter than most AT tires and they provide great traction off road but still have very good traction on snow and ice because of siping that most aggressive MT tries lack. I think in the end sealed the deal and made me go with the Duratrac's again was that in the 275/70/18 size I wanted to avoid the pizza cutter look as much as possible and figured that the Duratrac would have the appearance of a wider tire because of the more aggressive tread and side lugs.

So I pulled the plug and ordered a set of DuraTrac's and couldn't be happier. The size worked out just as I planned. I had a little bit of rubbing in the front bumper inner fender area which is normal for a Z71 due to less clearance than a non-Z71. I ended up removal the black bumper bottoms one each end of the bumper and now have plenty of clearance after pulling the inner fenders in with zip ties. Originally I was going to leave the black bumper bottoms on but after looking at it decided to just completely remove them and am glad I did. It gives the truck and even more aggressive look.

The only other area that rubbed was at the rear of the front wheel on my mud flaps. I have a set of universal mud flaps mounted to the plastic trim that surrounds the Z71 running boards. The rubbing was minimal and was only in reverse when turning almost full lock and was only because of the mud flap. I took them off for now and the rubbing is gone. I have ordered a different set of mud flaps and am going to trim the front of the running board trim pieces and the remount the new mud flaps to the actual inner fender. This should eliminate all of the rubbing in this area.

Close ups of rubbing areas before any trimming

IMG_20160130_121332369_zpsccungvv8.jpg

IMG_20160130_121339666_zpsbo5a9xlg.jpg

IMG_20160130_121427868_HDR_zps7jyhq3bd.jpg

After Trimming

IMG_20160130_174733801_HDR_zps1enkwnvy.jpg

IMG_20160130_174753832_HDR_zpskllujrxk.jpg

IMG_20160130_174836477_HDR_zpscxu9m8yc.jpg

IMG_20160130_174726673_HDR_zpstpg0ldjv.jpg

SteveMansur

Reaction score
I am looking to run the same size tire ( I would go with bf ko2 at). I have a 2015 yukon sle with a 2 inch front level without any mudflaps. Any opinions on rubbing front and rear? I do encounter full compression and extension scenarios alot when offroading.

Steve

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks super. I really like the Duratracks I just put them on my DD 2004 Suburban 2500 and took the family on a 200 mile round trip this weekend. They look super aggressive but quiet on the highway. I was comparing to the Hancook too and my research led me to the Duratrack. I really like the side knobbies no other tire in the class has that. What levelling kit did you go with? I'm looking to do that next.

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Didnt like the readylift kit because it doesnt really level the car unless u disregard the 0.25 inch thick bottom suspension strut mount spacer that comes with the kit and its more of a pain to install I also dont **** the smaller nuts that come with the top strut mount, it felt sketchy to install. I went the rough country 2 inch lower strut mount kit. Polyurethane ensure no squeaks and the is much cheaper. Bolts look top quality and the reviews say the spacers are solid. Ive had them on for 3 months with some harsh shaky drives and no problems.

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
id you keep the factory shocks? Where did you buy? I'm not familiar with the kit or what you mean by "strut mount kit"

The kits I've seen are a set of 3" levelling keys with an extension for the shock mount to keep stock shock length. I was considering a kit with the 2" blocks for rear leaf spring (I have a 2500 Suburban), but I've decided against the rear blocks now I don't want any wheel hop or weakening of the rear suspension in any way since I will be towing my 8000 lb. boat.

SteveMansur

Reaction score
I wouldnt want to compromise stock handling for an inch or 2 its just not worth it. So i kept factory shocks (although i would definitely get fox or bilstein when the time comes that i need to change them). The spacers i bought are available on amazon for 50$. Theyre super simple just 2 U shaped peices of black polyurethane with 4 bolts and screws. Comes in a box smaller than a math text book.

at100plus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe that's why I'm confused does your truck not have torsion bar front suspension with keys?