2500 running gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright i am in planning and research process and wondering about swapping the burban running gear to my 1/2 ton tahoe.. and wondering if this will work... i know that the 2500 hd truck front end will bolt up and would have to convert the rear end to trailing and coils as it is a leaf set up.. but was thinking the suburban drive train may be easier swap.. yet harder to find.. thoughts for getting 3/4 ton running gear under my tahoe.. i am in the works of gathering the parts needed to do a Diesel swap.. i am going to use the New Cummins 24V common rail 6bt motor 350hp and 610 lb/ft should be nice power upgrade running the motor at stock configuration for the beginning....

so any thoughts on easy 3/4 swap let me know open for thoughts and suggestions. i plan to do the swap in about a year on next years vacation time as this year is not allowing the build time.. also my buddy who is a fabricator and engineer is going to be the lead mechanic on this build along with me.

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frames on the 2500s are different to handle the higher weight rating, so there will be more fabrication than you realize. Mainly with the suspension and differentials. The cummins is a pretty long engine so you will have to get creative with the cooling system. Also, with the torque the cummins produces, you will likely have to add multiple gusset plates and boxed cross members to keep the frame from twisting.

If you decide to go with an allison transmission you will need a body lift to fit it under the belly pan.

Other than that, go for it. The reason you see diesel conversions predominantly done in the 2500 suburbans and yukon XLs is because it is simply MUCH easier to start with one of those. A cummins 4BT will drop right in with little fuss (if emissions isn't a concern in your area), but for a I6 or V8 diesel it'll be a fair amount of work.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timnazium

Latest posts