23 Tahoe RST vs RST performance edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new 23 Tahoe and have been looking at the RST performance edition that is lowered from GM. It rides good but is a little harsh on bumps and rough spots in the road with factory 20s. I was planning on at least upgrading to 22's but didn't want the ride to suffer anymore. Will the non-performance edition that comes factory with 22's have a smoother ride since it is not lowered? There is a dealer that has one coming in soon that I was considering putting a deposit on so it doesn't get sold but was curious about ride quality before doing that.

Thanks,
DW

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would test drive it when it comes in and decide if you like it or not or find one in your city, new or used, to test drive.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 22s with the factory tires and the ride doesn't seem harsh at all, I don't have the magnaride or airbags.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies but I'm specifically asking about the ride of the RST non lowered Tahoe.

RSTPE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would guess a performance edition and a regular rst would be very similar. Regular rst has a Smooth Ride Suspension but has less rubber with a 22”. Performance edition has 20s, so more tire but with a High Performance Suspension package and slightly lowered. For what it’s worth our PE seems to ride very well, although I’ve never driven one with magnetic ride or anything.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our standard Babymax RST with 22” is stupid smooth on the highway, but still maneuvers way better than a 5600# truck should. I was worried about the short sidewall with towing a pretty heavy trailer and seems fine.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess a performance edition and a regular rst would be very similar. Regular rst has a Smooth Ride Suspension but has less rubber with a 22”. Performance edition has 20s, so more tire but with a High Performance Suspension package and slightly lowered. For what it’s worth our PE seems to ride very well, although I’ve never driven one with magnetic ride or anything.
The performance edition RST I was looking at had magnetic ride on it.
Our standard Babymax RST with 22” is stupid smooth on the highway, but still maneuvers way better than a 5600# truck should. I was worried about the short sidewall with towing a pretty heavy trailer and seems fine.
Thanks, there is one supposed to be coming in any day now that I’m wanting to test out.

BeyondMyMeans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The performance edition RST I was looking at had magnetic ride on it.

Thanks, there is one supposed to be coming in any day now that I’m wanting to test out.
Did you ever get a chance to test drive that performance edition?

I have an order/deposit in for a 2024 Performance edition... But my dealer doesn't have an allocation yet and Arlington is on strike so lots of waiting and searching on cargurus.

I have been pouring over window stickers on RSTs and comparing and contrasting them. If it's got the "sport package" AKA 6.2 engine and dual exhaust only, then it also clearly says under mechanical options "magnetic ride control".

An RST with the "performance edition" instead says "high capacity suspension package".

I could be wrong, but I don't think the performance edition has mag ride. I've found a SINGLE blurb on Reddit where a guy owned a 22 RST and was able to test drive a performance edition. He said the ride was rough and he wouldn't want to do a road trip with it.

I plan on putting a ranch hand brush guard on mine almost immediately. NOT having mag ride would actually be beneficial as that would make it easier to adjust the suspension for possible sag.

OP
OP
DwDrummer

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get a chance to test drive that performance edition?

I have an order/deposit in for a 2024 Performance edition... But my dealer doesn't have an allocation yet and Arlington is on strike so lots of waiting and searching on cargurus.

I have been pouring over window stickers on RSTs and comparing and contrasting them. If it's got the "sport package" AKA 6.2 engine and dual exhaust only, then it also clearly says under mechanical options "magnetic ride control".

An RST with the "performance edition" instead says "high capacity suspension package".

I could be wrong, but I don't think the performance edition has mag ride. I've found a SINGLE blurb on Reddit where a guy owned a 22 RST and was able to test drive a performance edition. He said the ride was rough and he wouldn't want to do a road trip with it.

I plan on putting a ranch hand brush guard on mine almost immediately. NOT having mag ride would actually be beneficial as that would make it easier to adjust the suspension for possible sag.
I drove the PE Tahoe 3 times and every time I drove it I think it got a little rougher. I never got to drive the non PE edition Tahoe but I moved on to a Denali. For $81K I wanted something that rode well and to add all the Tahoes I was looking at had paint chipping off the front bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts