22" Wheels ride quality? Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoyWonder41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try adusting the psi to factory specs. I also had planned to change the tires out after testing them a few hundred miles. I've gone through numerous brand named tires in cars and the only difference that I've noticed with moderate driving has been road noise or softness. The 22 inch tires I'm running now have slight road noise. I think that once the tires get broken in and I get the correct psi the ride will be better. Excessive road noise is the only thing that I can't stand and would make me change tires sooner. So far not that bad though.

Killroy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wheels are not going to matter that much. It's the tires. If you go with a small tread wall then your vehicle is going to ride and sound like a tank.
Or you can go buy chrome 24s with two inch sidewalls and join similar vehicles at Ringling Bros with the clowns hanging out of them.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheels are not going to matter that much. It's the tires. If you go with a small tread wall then your vehicle is going to ride and sound like a tank.
Or you can go buy chrome 24s with two inch sidewalls and join similar vehicles at Ringling Bros with the clowns hanging out of them.

If you don't like 24s that is fine.

No need to talk crap about the people who run them though.

tenbigblinds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22" Wheels ride quality? Gas Mileage?

I have 24s with Pirelli Scorpions. Definitely takes more accelerator to get going, MPGs decreased by 2MPGs and Braking is longer. Road noise... A little at 60+ MPH. I was expecting much worse going from 20s to 24s. I just did a 400 mile drive and averaged 22MPGs. I paid $4200 for the wheels and tires installed minus $1250 for my factory 20s. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/
15/04/29/70f435b863921c86b9e83ec6edfb6383.jpg

2015i Yukon SLT 5.3L
- Open Road (Nav & Rear Entertainment), Marimoto HID Upgrade, 24" Lexani Luxury Wheels, Pirelli Scorpion 305/35/24, WeatherTech Digital Fit, HMI (Video in Motion & Cell Mirroring) Upgrade, vLED Fogs/Plate/Backups/AirRaid Jr.... Looking to do more!

Last edited:

tenbigblinds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well apparently you're a clown ^^^^

Not sure I get that?

2015i Yukon SLT 5.3L
- Open Road (Nav & Rear Entertainment), Marimoto HID Upgrade, 24" Lexani Luxury Wheels, Pirelli Scorpion 305/35/24, WeatherTech Digital Fit, HMI (Video in Motion & Cell Mirroring) Upgrade, vLED Fogs/Plate/Backups/AirRaid Jr.... Looking to do more!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Ahh... Now I get it. Yeah, I guess I need to be driving around the circus! I dunno but I don't think my vehicle looks like a clown car. 33668cdf587d5a9973e2ac1fa9248c1c.jpg

2015i Yukon SLT 5.3L

rokdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tenbigblinds

What tire size did you change from to the 24's?

Did you notice a big difference in ride quality? A lot worse?

I'm thinking of 24's that's why I'm asking.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressures. noticeable difference between 36 and 42 psi cold on a lower profile tire, especially as it relates to small sharp impacts from expansion joints,etc. Running on the hwy for awhile will take those cold pressures from 36psi to about 39 ish.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

High frontal area vehicles are negatively impacted by tire pressures. we have let the tire pressures get too low in the both the Tahoe and the caddy SRXs we've owned and the difference can be 1 mpg easily.

wish there were better forged wheel options for full size trucks. some of the lightest are the GM 18" hybrid wheels, unfortunately a little narrow and not a huge fan of the design. would help acceleration, etc.

Last edited:

CarSick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Will these 22"s (285/45s) fit my obs 4x4 '99 Suburban? I know its not a tahoe but should be the same. Thanks

00606_gdqOD4XJPXT_600x450.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts