22" Wheels ride quality? Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 17 on my 01 tahoe and 20/22/24 on my 08 tahoe. All vehicles after those two I stuck with 20's and 22's. Like Lee said they all ride the same under or at 22. 24 is when ride quality kinda suffers due to heavier wheel making it harder to turn the wheel and generally slowing the car down. They look great though but I'd rather oem or less

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
2600stall? Would you mind elaborating on that?

2015i Yukon LTZ 5.3L
- Open Road (Nav & Rear Entertainment)
- Marimoto HID Upgrade
- 24" Lexani Luxury Wheels
- Pirelli Scorpion 305/35/24
- WeatherTech Digital Fit

an OEM converter from a 4.2L Trailblazer fits 4l60 transmissions, behind a stock 5.3 they will stall about 2600rpm

this allows for much better take off.

*I need to make it clear that this is not on a 2015

photios

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an LTZ with 22" tires. I think, however, I would prefer 20s.

Would a dealer possibly cut me a break and swap the 22's for 20's and give me some cash back? The 22's are on the invoice and are an $895 option.

Just curious what others may have experienced in the past. If the request sounds ridiculous, then I won't bother asking.

1clean08denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just swapped from oem 20's to 22's but went with a 45 series tire and it's damn near the same ride as the oem. Mpg couldn't tell but then again I have a 6.2L so might as well kiss mpg out the window hahaha

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing an LTZ with 22" tires. I think, however, I would prefer 20s.

Would a dealer possibly cut me a break and swap the 22's for 20's and give me some cash back? The 22's are on the invoice and are an $895 option.

Just curious what others may have experienced in the past. If the request sounds ridiculous, then I won't bother asking.

I've been researching wheels lately (granted, I'm between 22's and 24's). Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read...22's are very safe and ride very very well.

The way I see it, if GM puts 22's on factory, especially on escalates and denali's...their premium suv's...they MUST be good and not effect the ride. I had an 07 suburban that came with 17's. I swapped those out for 22" escalade wheels and tires. Noticed zero ride difference and had zero issues. I think something else to consider is making sure you get premium tires. Tires effect ride quality more than some people realize. I love the bridgestones that come on the GM factory 22's.

So I say stick with your 22's, I don't think you'll regret it!

photios

Reaction score
I've been researching wheels lately (granted, I'm between 22's and 24's). Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read...22's are very safe and ride very very well.

The way I see it, if GM puts 22's on factory, especially on escalates and denali's...their premium suv's...they MUST be good and not effect the ride. I had an 07 suburban that came with 17's. I swapped those out for 22" escalade wheels and tires. Noticed zero ride difference and had zero issues. I think something else to consider is making sure you get premium tires. Tires effect ride quality more than some people realize. I love the bridgestones that come on the GM factory 22's.

So I say stick with your 22's, I don't think you'll regret it!

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm in the process of trying to negotiate a deal on the LTZ, and if I'm successful, I will follow your suggestion and keep the 22's. I must say... they did great on the test drive!

BoyWonder41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon 22 inch wheel upgrade

I bought my 2015 Yukon SLE last month after trading a 2007 Yukon Denali model. I loved the ride but wanted to possibly upgrade the factory 20s to 22s. My factory 20s were aluminum brushed with Continental tires. The dealer filled them with Nitrogen also. Not sure if this makes a difference since its the first time I've ever had that. After contemplating the style rim and size (didn't wanna go to big) I purchased a set of OEM replica black chrome 22 inch rims with Versatyre 285/45 22 Tires.

I think they look amazing and when it's sunny the truck gets that second look. However, I could tell the difference in the ride as soon as I pulled away.

1. The truck took off slower and I have to step on the gas more than before.
2. I do feel every bump on the rode almost as if I'm in my BMW with the sport suspension. (Highway is better)
3. The braking is a little longer.
4. I'm sure it gets slightly less gas mileage. (The least of my worries)
5. Slight road noise. (Possible tire brand)

I did notice that the installer inflated the tire pressure on the 22s to the max of 50psi. I dropped it to around 42 psi when I got home and it does ride much better but still not the same as before. I'm thinking of having the dealer refill with nitrogen to see if there is another noticeable difference. I read that tires stay cooler in hot summer weather with nitrogen. (Not sure now true that is) I also have to have to take into account that I switched from an aluminum to a chrome wheel which is heavier.

Overall, I'm still happy with the upgrade. There are numerous things that may play a part in the ride difference and may not even matter to you. Keep in mind that a good quality tire and the upgraded suspension on the Denali and Escalade models also play an important role in the ride. ( Those two models have the magnetic ride control which is not standard ) I do plan to upgrade later to a Bridgestone or Continental tire that comes standard and see how they ride then. I do care about ride and handling but I also love the look. Good Luck and hope this helps.

I've attached a couple photos.

Yukon 20s.jpg

Yukon 22s.jpg

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PSI on my GM factory 22s is recommended at 36 PSI. 42 PSI seems high and I would think the ride would be better at 36 PSI.

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that the name brand of tire is affecting your ride. On other vehicles, I have noticed significant differences in ride quality between different kinds of tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7