22" Wheels ride quality? Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've seen reviews in auto magazines alluding to the fact that the 22" wheels ride harsh. I'd be curious if you notice significantly decreased gas mileage or worse ride quality switching from 18/20's to 22's?

Thanks,

Adam

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never owned anything over 20s but It is a fact that bigger rims and smaller sidewalls will ride a bit stiffer , As for gas mileage You shouldn't see a HUGE change it will be minimal

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
22s do not ride harsh. They simply still have a lot of sidewall left.
Will 18s ride better? Probably.
Is the difference in ride that much? Not at all. Any decrease in ride is worth it in looks.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will decrease MPG. It will ride harsher.

You will look better and that's what matters. :)

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will decrease MPG. It will ride harsher.

You will look better and that's what matters. :)

x2

The ride won't really be THAT noticeable and you might lose 1mpg or so

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I figured the harshness is overrated. I have 19"s on my wife's 545 and 17" on my mini cooper. The sizes on both are on the small size sidewall and I don't mind. I've just never owned a truck with low sidewall tires etc. My trucks are work trucks with 4x4 tires etc. and I like the extra meat.

I ordered the Yukon with standard tires and I was going to purchase the 22" and keep the 18"s for secondary wheels etc.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck will ride harder, accelerate slower, get worse gas mileage in town and braking distances will be longer. Each category will be affected in vary degrees from barely noticeable to noticeable.......but it's up to you whether it matters or not.
These trucks really need the larger diameters to look right IMO. But I'm always going to go after better driving dynamics. I am in the minority.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acceleration, Braking Distances, Mileage are all results of overall wheel/ tire diameter increase. If the overall diameter of the wheel tire combo stays the same none of these areas are changed from stock. That's why the lower sidewall when running 22's. The lower side wall height will ride slightly harsh, but 22's is barely noticeable imo.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acceleration, Braking Distances, Mileage are all results of overall wheel/ tire diameter increase. If the overall diameter of the wheel tire combo stays the same none of these areas are changed from stock. That's why the lower sidewall when running 22's. The lower side wall height will ride slightly harsh, but 22's is barely noticeable imo.

No. Weight plays a major role too.

Also rotating mass has a 1.5 multiplication factor or so.

Its like

Get hit with a rock

Or

Get hit with a rock that someone has tied a string to and is spun....... then flung at you

Rock weighs the same. One hurts way more

Last edited:

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight in this case is probably negligible. I haven't weighed them, but the net increase cant be very much when you are talking aluminum wheels.

Now if we are talking about jumping up to something like 37" tall tires, yea, I can see it. But in this case, if the few lbs difference per wheel and tire combo effect performance, there is a bigger problem than wheels and tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep