2018 Yukon Oil Change Interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer recommended changing out the oil at 7500 miles when I first bought the Hoe in October 2016..Then they went to 5K miles a few months ago..I have changed it at 5K miles from the get-go..I generally only use 0W20 Mobil 1.

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the oil change regimen I follow for all of my vehicles:

1. Use Amsoil (or similar) break-in oil on a new or rebuilt engine, change to synth immediately after break-in
2. 2nd oil change at 500 miles
3. 3rd oil change at 1500 miles
4. 4th+ oil changes at 4000 mile intervals maximum

-Even if I don't rack up mileage quickly, I always change my oil at least once per year. Typically twice.
-I always use a Mobil 1 or equivalent oil filter. Never FRAM or discount brand.
-I typically run a heavier weight in the summer here in Dallas.

I've had many minor engine issues with my vehicles but God-forbid never a catastrophic internal failure (knocks on wood). I credit most of my luck to my oil change regimen. The oil life meter probably does not account well for a missing air filter, the occasional track day, or a stuck fuel injector.

Garandman

Reaction score
My dealer recommends every 5,000 miles. I thus have it changed every 5,000 miles regardless of the oil life level.
That recommendation is based on making more profit for the dealer.

We had Four Chevys in our work fleet, changed the oil per the OLM, and had the drain oil tested regularly. Some of the intervals approached 10,000 miles, and the oil tested fine. This was on vehicles driven 18,000 to 40,000 miles per year and up to 175,000.

We asked the tribology outfit what benefit there was to changing the oil early, and their comment was, “You create very high quality waste oil.”

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a brand new truck have dealer oil changes & the advised schedule per such?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a brand new truck have dealer oil changes & the advised schedule per such?

There are "manufacturer" recommendations and then there are "dealer" recommendations.

And , then there is real life...

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are "manufacturer" recommendations and then there are "dealer" recommendations.

And , then there is real life...

Agreed.

At a minimum, I would have the dealer change the oil on a new engine at 500 miles. You want to remove all of the metal shavings and any casting sand that might be left over. I doubt the OLM checks for metal shavings.

CMil527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm inclined to use and believe the GM Oil Life Monitor. GM has a patented algorithm that monitors actual condition of the oil based on a bunch of different inputs (engine/oil temperature, load, RPM, driving style, etc). It isn't just a count down timer like a lot of other oil change systems. From what I've read it actually corresponds really well to actual life left in the oil when people send samples out to Black Stone Labs for analysis.

In my personal experience I letting the engine full warm up and doing highway driving gives a lot more miles on the monitor than than short city trips.

I think the question is do you want to wait until it gets to 5% or are you more comfortable changing at 30% or something like that. I personally always changed at the 30%-ish mark. Figure I want to keep my vehicles longer than life the manufacturer expected/designed them to go.
Amen!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OLMs now time out at 7,500 miles regardless. My Gen IV motor loves fresh clean oil, so now it's changed around 5,000 miles or in the 30% range on the OLM and as always and forever, Mobil One synthetic oil.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I did the first at 1,500 miles. Dealer told me I was crazy, should wait. The two free oil changes can be done anytime you want, but you only get 2. I'll switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w-20 when I start doing them myself. I did the same on my 2015 Tahoe.