2018 Yukon Denali Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are $40k vehicles that get dressed up with baubles and bolt ons.

You want real handstitched leather dash's you're looking at the wrong vehicles amigo.

That said, I don't think any aspect (other than the rear seat control/storage area) feels out of place in the segment. The interior quality over the last generation is staggering.

I won't buy a sequoia because the interior is terrible. It's mind boggling that you bought a gmc when you feel so strongly about their interiors being terrible.
Yup, I did buy one, Tuesday this week. For the size and towing. They're nice I didn't say they aren't so don't get butt hurt and take it that direction. But the interior is lacking big time. That's what took us 3 years to finally pull the trigger. A lot of money for a less than impressive interior quality. And I'm not the only one that's ever said that, so don't act starstruck.

And amigo, my Grand Cherokee has had a leather dash since 2010. Most vehicles nowadays are getting them. For you guys saying oh look at the 1990s suvs. Ok yeah that was 20 years ago things have changed. I've owned a lot of vehicles and I have looked at even more. These interiors are full of cartoon shapes to distract from the fact there's just as much cheap plastic as the last gen. More cool shapes thrown all over the interior though. Super neat if you're into that.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most that don't have an issue are probably coming from a 10-20yr old GM vehicle. Of course the new one is going to feel like a benz or lexus compared to the dated models as they were dated during those times.

We bought one as well as it serves a purpose, however, I too wish the interior was a step or two nicer in the quality department for the $$$. I understand the denali probably doesn't have the same feel, but the plastic wood trim is a step below "lego plastic" grade, IMO. The door panels are very generic with sharped edge plastic in places. center console creaks and feels cheap after 30k miles. Center stack and inst cluster layout are solid and dash is okay. leather seat quality is okay but should be nicer for a $60k+ vehicle.

It could be that my daily vehicle (grand cherokee as well) is 6yrs old, almost half the price and feels more solid and better fit and finish than our yukon SLT.

It may still happen but I was hoping the '18 would have a higher grade of finishes across the entire lineup as well as other improved tech. That's not asking a lot...not a new design, just small improvements to the current design.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deleted while editing by mistake. See original post in quote below.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome to your own opinion but not your own facts.

The last gen GM's had a rock hard dash and door panels. Virtually no soft touch materials anywhere. The Cherokee was updated when the last gen GM's were mid cycle. So, zero meaningful comparison there. These GM's are, at the very least, better than average in their respective classes. It's certainly has as nice (if not nicer) interior than my E class sedan. And that's saying something.

It's ok that you're so upset about the interior of a truck. My suggestion remains though, sit in one prior to buying.

Or continue to buy and cry. Whatever suits you.

Cheers.

I think you helped prove his point. A jeep that was introduced during the previous design has a higher quality finishes than the current yukon/tahoe. And I don't think they are horrible, but I understand where he's coming from. I think they are moving the right direction but do wish the material quality was a little higher. And again I'm referring to the LTZ/SLTlines, not the Denali. The last Gen GMs were similar to that of an interior of john deere tractor, so I don't know why it's impressive to compare the current gen to the last. And yes, I had two (tahoe and suburban) as well as a Traverse and they were all rattle boxes full of plastic.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you helped prove his point. A jeep that was introduced during the previous design has a higher quality finish than the current yukon/tahoe. And I don't think they are horrible, but I understand where he's coming from. I think they are moving the right direction but do wish the material quality was a little higher. The last Gen GMs were similar to that of an interior of john deere tractor, so I don't know why it's impressive to compare the current gen to the last. And yes, I had two (tahoe and suburban) as well as a Traverse and they were all rattle boxes full of plastic.

Only if you believe that the current base Cherokee (essentially the last vehicle of the Mercedes/Chrysler era) had a materially better interior than the current base Tahoe.

I do not.

The point really was that you can't really compare a mid cycle vehicle with a brand new vehicle.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm comparing a 2011 GC to a 2015 (16/17) Tahoe LTZ/Yukon SLT.

Leather, Dash, door panels, buttons, etc. are of much higher quality compared to our 2015i YUKON SLT.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm comparing a 2011 GC to a 2015 Tahoe LTZ/Yukon SLT.

Leather, Dash, door panels, buttons, etc. are of much higher quality compared to our 2015i YUKON SLT.

The jeeps are nice, Mercedes did a great job there. They are a slightly different segment but nice for sure. If they had 3 full rows o would have one in my garage. Personally I'm not a fan of the GC center stack but that's a preference thing.

In the full size, 8 passenger segment, $40-50k range,
It's a struggle to find decent interiors IMO.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jeeps are nice, Mercedes did a great job there. They are a slightly different segment but nice for sure. If they had 3 full rows o would have one in my garage. Personally I'm not a fan of the GC center stack but that's a preference thing.

In the full size, 8 passenger segment, $40-50k range,
It's a struggle to find decent interiors IMO.

I totally agree and while there's little to zero competition in this segment currently, i don't blame GM for not making material improvements...it works and they sell. it's just hard jumping into a truck that is almost 5yrs newer and a hell of a lot more coin to have a less quality feel than my 11 GC. My jeep has real leather panels, the armrest console has a real leather feel while the yukon totally feels like rubber/cheap vinyl as do the door panels. I just wish there was a more plush feel for a $60k truck.

Yes, I've never owned a vehicle more than a few years and I'm going on 6yrs with this jeep. We could use a 2nd vehicle with 3rd row but I have yet to give it up. I know they've had issues over the years but this ML platform was a huge winner for chrysler/benz.

I am also annoyed and disgusted with the mechanical issues we've had to deal with on the yukon, so I'm sure that's playing into my current distaste towards these trucks. :emotions122:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree and while there's little to zero competition in this segment currently, i don't blame GM for not making material improvements...it works and they sell. it's just hard jumping into a truck that is almost 5yrs newer and a hell of a lot more coin to have a less quality feel than my 11 GC. My jeep has real leather panels, the armrest console has a real leather feel while the yukon totally feels like rubber/cheap vinyl as do the door panels. I just wish there was a more plush feel for a $60k truck.

Yes, I've never owned a vehicle more than a few years and I'm going on 6yrs with this jeep. We could use a 2nd vehicle with 3rd row but I have yet to give it up. I know they've had issues over the years but this ML platform was a huge winner for chrysler/benz.

I am also annoyed and disgusted with the mechanical issues we've had to deal with on the yukon, so I'm sure that's playing into my current distaste towards these trucks. :emotions122:

That's fair. Outside of the GC the interiors in similar vehicles (outside of mercs and audis) is awful. The toyotas and nissans are horrific. 80's part bins.

I would sat that GM did make material (exponential IMO) from their last gen trucks.

I'm excited to see the expedition for sure.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fair. Outside of the GC the interiors in similar vehicles (outside of mercs and audis) is awful. The toyotas and nissans are horrific. 80's part bins.

I would sat that GM did make material (exponential IMO) from their last gen trucks.

I'm excited to see the expedition for sure.

sure. Yes, likewise...we are going to go with an 18 GM (assuming it's buffeting free) or the ford. The ford seems nice except I have a feeling the rear may ruin it as it looks too soft and flex like. I've seen a navigator mule up close in person here in MI on the road and the interior looks to be solid, but who really knows.