2018 Tahoe Premier and 22" all-terrain tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Segun Dunt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of an 18 Premier with the RST package (not the 6.2L performance package, just the exterior package).

The package comes with 22" rims, and while I know I can purchase A/T tires (which I need) in the same size as the stock tires that come with 22" Tahoe rims, will the ride quality be significantly affected by going from all-seasons to the tougher/harder A/Ts?

I guess what I'm asking is with the Premier's magnetic suspension, will the suspension smooth out the ride quality or will the 22" A/T's turn this thing into something more like the Z71?

Thanks for your time.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRC isn’t all that competent so I’d imagine you’re going to affect ride quality quite a bit.

Side story; there’s a housewife I always see at the school drop off. She has a Premier with 24” rims and a/t tires. Never talked to her about it but it looks weird lol

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on the tires, and inflation pressure. Load rated tires overinflated will ride like a ... well, it will ride like a truck with load-rated tires that are overinflated. The MRC will ride better, but it won't be a "magic carpet".

Might look for an all-terrain that are xl vs load rated--nice compromise.

OP
OP
S

Segun Dunt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, gents.

That's really the biggest issue that's tripping me up right now. I like the 22" look and the RST package but if I can't ride on a/t's I'm ...stuck.

I will start looking into XL-rated rubber. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents.

That's really the biggest issue that's tripping me up right now. I like the 22" look and the RST package but if I can't ride on a/t's I'm ...stuck.

I will start looking into XL-rated rubber. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

I have a 15 Suburban LT with dealer takeoff OEM Premier 22" wheels. I am also looking for A/T tires for when it times to replace stock rubber.
I got some very nice and detailed feedback on other members, giving their impressions and sharing pics/specs.
Here is my thread about it.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...ok-good-for-my-suburban-on-premier-22.100725/

My findings push me towards getting 285/50r22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires.
While the added sidewall would make me think I am going to gain in cushion/confort, I doubt it since all terrain tires are usually harder than their road only counterpart.

from playing with various setup, my all time most comfortable choice would be some Z71 18" wrapped on 275/65r18 for stock front levelling or 285/65r18 with 2" front lift on some quiet ridding/on road oriented A/T tires like the Bridgestone Dualer A/T or other comparable.

just my 2 cents.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I switched to Bridgestone dueler ATs our Yukon rode so much better. The ATs are way softer than the eco tires that come from the factory. 22" also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Segun Dunt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks AZCreeker.

mtocrs1, those eco tires would be the low drag variety, or whatever they're called, right?

RossB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went with Nitto 285/50R22 Ridge Grapplers on my 2015 Yukon (with MRC). Had to raise the front 2" and the rear 1". Love the tires so far (only 500 miles into them) I really don't notice any ride difference, cornering and tracking is the same. I was pleased with the snow traction, the only downside I have encountered is a very small increase in roadnoise. Have not towed yet but don't expect any issues there either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2