2018 Denali Adaptive Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally hate this thing! Why didn't GM give us the option of turning it off? It's the most annoying thing ever if there's any traffic. Constantly slowing you down and speeding you back up and I have it set as "short or close" as possible. I'm sure it is detrimental to gas milage too. I will get rid of this in favor of something similar that I can turn the Adaptive Cruise off if I choose to. Anyone know of a solution other than buying something else?

It’s terrible. Unless you are on a desolate stretch of road it is constantly slowing down.

OP
OP
B

bearsdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like mine. Only rarely does it slow me down too quickly and that's usually when some ******** cuts over into my lane too close to me. It's not useful in heavy traffic, but why would you have your cruise set then anyway?

Heavy traffic-no, just the average interstate traffic. Yours must be set up differently. If the "short" setting was much shorter it might be okay, but it slows down when way too far behind the car ahead of you; long before you think about moving to the other lane to pass. It's just annoying so I just stopped using it a lot of times. I have always used cruise the majority of the time when driving except of course in "heavy traffic". Maybe GM "improved" it on the 2018's. I think we should have the option of using it in adaptive mode or regular cruise. Dumb idea to not have it this way GM.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do have the option for “regular” cruise control. It’s in the settings somewhere. Lol

Also, stop using cruise control in heavy traffic. This system isn’t quite where Volvo, Merc, Audi’s is. It doesn’t offer traffic jam assist or anything.

If you’re using cruise control in traffic and it’s “always slowing down”, then wouldn’t you be needing to slow down anyways? I don’t really understand your gripe.

With adaptive cruise you do have pay attention more when you come up on a car and switch lanes a little earlier, otherwise it’s going to start slowing down and following that car ahead. So you’re faced with the same issues on regular cruise control, you’d either rearend the car ahead or simply have switch lanes.

And for the naysayers of OMG adaptive cruise is terrible and anything 2015+ is, you sound like the morons back in the day that bashed regular cruise control. Lmao
:biggun:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bearsdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You do have the option for “regular” cruise control. It’s in the settings somewhere. Lol

Also, stop using cruise control in heavy traffic. This system isn’t quite where Volvo, Merc, Audi’s is. It doesn’t offer traffic jam assist or anything.

If you’re using cruise control in traffic and it’s “always slowing down”, then wouldn’t you be needing to slow down anyways? I don’t really understand your gripe.

With adaptive cruise you do have pay attention more when you come up on a car and switch lanes a little earlier, otherwise it’s going to start slowing down and following that car ahead. So you’re faced with the same issues on regular cruise control, you’d either rearend the car ahead or simply have switch lanes.

And for the naysayers of OMG adaptive cruise is terrible and anything 2015+ is, you sound like the morons back in the day that bashed regular cruise control. Lmao
:biggun:

Look I said I don't use it in heavy traffic! It's any traffic and I don't like to slow down when all I need to do is pass! But when it slows down 600' before you get to the car in front of you that's ridiculous. You end up driving in the passing lane just to prevent this. Sorry but you don't get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bearsdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is NO option to turn adaptive cruise off without turning cruise off too. Tell me where it is if you know, my dealer said there is no option for that.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
Heavy traffic-no, just the average interstate traffic. Yours must be set up differently. If the "short" setting was much shorter it might be okay, but it slows down when way too far behind the car ahead of you; long before you think about moving to the other lane to pass. It's just annoying so I just stopped using it a lot of times. I have always used cruise the majority of the time when driving except of course in "heavy traffic". Maybe GM "improved" it on the 2018's. I think we should have the option of using it in adaptive mode or regular cruise. Dumb idea to not have it this way GM.
Mine is a 2016.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
I found out that there is a disadvantage to the adaptive cruise. When there is a lot of snow and ice, the sensors cannot sense the distance between by 2016 Yukon Denali and the car ahead.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
I found out that there is a disadvantage to the adaptive cruise. When there is a lot of snow and ice, the sensors cannot sense the distance between by 2016 Yukon Denali and the car ahead.
Why in the world would you be using cruise control on snow and ice? SMH.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look I said I don't use it in heavy traffic! It's any traffic and I don't like to slow down when all I need to do is pass! But when it slows down 600' before you get to the car in front of you that's ridiculous. You end up driving in the passing lane just to prevent this. Sorry but you don't get it.

+1 billion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11