2017 Yukon build - just put on 24s now have bump steer like symptoms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigboychi

Reaction score
View attachment 193186 Whats up fellas - don't really post on these forums much but looking for some input on a few things. And appreciate ahead of time all of the responses.

First thing i did was drop the stock rims and throw on some 24s -

DUBS Future 24x10 +30 offset
Pirelli 305/35R24

This is where I started getting the bump steer like symptoms with vibration at 70-85mph. Before with stock rims it rode like a dream. I went back to place where I got rims installed- balanced and got an alignment. Helped the vibration a little bit but still have the bump steer like symptoms. Any ideas on this? I read other threads and some people recommended hub centric rings. So i will give those a shot.

But wondering if I need to upgrade sway bar or steering stabilizer?

Also looking to level out my ride just thinking dropping the back 2"? I live in Minnesota so don't want to get too aggressive but get a better look. Any suggestions on which leveling kit to get?

And if i were to upgrade sway bar & steering stabalizer any suggestions on that?

Thanks really appreciate all the help!

Bigboychi

Reaction score
I went with the Hellwig 7685 front sway and Hellwig 7740 rear bar and McGaughy's 2" rear drop w autoride for my 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ.

The sways made a HECK of a lot of difference. The weight of the bars compared to the stock was staggering. The Tahoe feels more like my 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and is just PLANTED to the ground. I was very surprised that the ride quality was not impacted as much as I would have expected.

The rear drop was perfect to level it with the front and give it a much nicer stance.

The one thing i did after the fact was add grease zerks. I was just going to drill and tap the hellwig bushings for grease zerks but found a set of Hotchkis bushings and brackets with the zerks already in on ebay for 20$ so snatched those up. For the rear end-links i just drilled and tapped the Hellwig ones for zerks.

I also added Moog front stabilizer bar links (K700538) to replace the stock ones but i didnt lower the front any.

Hellwig also stated that Hellwig 7799 spacer kit was required since I have a 6 speed auto but to my surprise it was NOT required for the 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ. I had a TON of room without using the spacers so I left them off.
View attachment 193186 Whats up fellas - don't really post on these forums much but looking for some input on a few things. And appreciate ahead of time all of the responses.

First thing i did was drop the stock rims and throw on some 24s -

DUBS Future 24x10 +30 offset
Pirelli 305/35R24

This is where I started getting the bump steer like symptoms with vibration at 70-85mph. Before with stock rims it rode like a dream. I went back to place where I got rims installed- balanced and got an alignment. Helped the vibration a little bit but still have the bump steer like symptoms. Any ideas on this? I read other threads and some people recommended hub centric rings. So i will give those a shot.

But wondering if I need to upgrade sway bar or steering stabilizer?

Also looking to level out my ride just thinking dropping the back 2"? I live in Minnesota so don't want to get too aggressive but get a better look. Any suggestions on which leveling kit to get?

And if i were to upgrade sway bar & steering stabalizer any suggestions on that?

Thanks really appreciate all the help!
I've rode 24, 26 and 28,s on my Yukon and have never changed any suspension parts. Unforotanally it gets worse.. I've tried balance multiple times, no good...then it starts really bad asy 60mph.... someone told me to try very expensve tires since I had such big wheels

juan84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in mounds view mn I a have a 2/3 drop on my awd yukon xl denali on 22" will be going 24 eventually I have no vibrations or bumpsteer alignment came without a problem still running factory air ride in the rear. like others have mentioned could be the tires ca73b12c3c2fdb56e2a797d7384791a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have vibrations also, But mine are intermittent, above 70 mile an hour it’ll shake a little bit but go away within five minutes, I was thinking maybe the mrc??

I have these exact smae rims 24" Futures on Lexani, lowered 2F/3r and have intermittent vibrations between 40-60mph. Usually in the morning after sitting all night.

jeff laing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these exact smae rims 24" Futures on Lexani, lowered 2F/3r and have intermittent vibrations between 40-60mph. Usually in the morning after sitting all night.

I would have to agree it is worse once it sits for a while

georgebuhr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will agree with the Road Force Balance. We have one of those machines at our work and they are fantastic. Basically they measure rim runout, while also measuring tire spring rate around the circumference, and also measure lateral pull of the tire. Once you know the lowest spot on the rim, and the high spring rate spot on the tire, you marry the two spots and you will have the least amount of road force vibration possible, and often times they will require less wheel weights as well once mounted this way. They are not miracle workers however, and cannot fix a bad tire, and also keep in mind the higher the rim diameter, the more you are going to feel vibrations and road force(no sidewall to soak it up). Also, you could be feeling feeling flat spots on the tires from sitting overnight(again, no sidewall to absorb it). The bump steer you are feeling goes along the same theory; no sidewall, therefore stiffer tire, therefore you are making the shocks/springs do more work, therefore more travel, so thats probably why you are feeling excess bump steer. Less travel might fix it, but to get less travel you would have to stiffen the ride even more.

Bigboychi

Reaction score
That's the trade off i guess, riding 28s and 30s you feel it at Lower speeds, i never wanted to ride my Yukon on highways... this was just weeks after putting on brand new

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts