2017 Transmission not exactly smooth slipping into gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLAv8r

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out if this is normal vehicle behavior. I have a 2017 Yukon with only 3500 miles. I drive around in L gears around town to avoid the dreaded AFM ( buying a range controller soon). It feels when I'm in the neighborhood with light pedal movement and low RPM that the truck kinda surges. I've watched to make sure its not AFM, and its in v8 mode the whole time since I'm in the "L gears". Seems to be more prevalent when the engine is cold.

Driving around town, it seems every time the gear shift is made that the car kinda slips into the next gear. It feels unlike any other car I've owned. I'm not sure if this is due to the " drive by wire" response from the pedal to the engine vice versa. The gear shift itself is smooth but it feel for a few seconds like it slides into the gear then accelerates normally. This behavior is the same whether I'm in Drive or manual gearing.

Just trying to see if I'm making something out of nothing or if this is an issue. Also would a 17 have any TSB's out for torque converter etc?

Thanks for any info!

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2010, and I think it's the transmission. but it bumps if I hit it and kind knocks by imma ride it til the mf wheels come off, I seamfoam, and keep oil changed. I thought about getting tranny flushed (that means different stuff now) for $200. IDK

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out if this is normal vehicle behavior. I have a 2017 Yukon with only 3500 miles. I drive around in L gears around town to avoid the dreaded AFM ( buying a range controller soon). It feels when I'm in the neighborhood with light pedal movement and low RPM that the truck kinda surges. I've watched to make sure its not AFM, and its in v8 mode the whole time since I'm in the "L gears". Seems to be more prevalent when the engine is cold.

Driving around town, it seems every time the gear shift is made that the car kinda slips into the next gear. It feels unlike any other car I've owned. I'm not sure if this is due to the " drive by wire" response from the pedal to the engine vice versa. The gear shift itself is smooth but it feel for a few seconds like it slides into the gear then accelerates normally. This behavior is the same whether I'm in Drive or manual gearing.

Just trying to see if I'm making something out of nothing or if this is an issue. Also would a 17 have any TSB's out for torque converter etc?

Thanks for any info!
take it to the dealer ask them to have a tech drive it with you, not the service advisor but an actual tech, have him drive it (the exact same way) and you ride as a passenger and see what they have to say about it, that's the best way to get to the bottom of it, they may even bring a scanner along to verify.

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
you are right I need to do that ASAP, the dealer here in Arkansas are crooks, they'll tell me I need a new tranny. but i'll get it over there. me and the bank love this truck.

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
take it to the dealer ask them to have a tech drive it with you, not the service advisor but an actual tech, have him drive it (the exact same way) and you ride as a passenger and see what they have to say about it, that's the best way to get to the bottom of it, they may even bring a scanner along to verify.
Of course you know what GMC stands for? Get More C(lady parts)

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 got a new factory transmission installed at 14k.

It was clicking, clunking and shifting badly.

The new one doesn’t click, but still clunks sometime and I cringe thinking of how it’s eating up the rest of the drivetrain components as it does it....

I’ve had software updates and it’s no better.

Also takes a few seconds to engage reverse on cold starts in the morning- if I don’t wait with my foot on the brakes, it bangs really hard.

I love this truck, but for the price, it should be smooth shifting and NOT need a whole new trans, which isn’t much better. At 60k- will be 45k on the new trans, I’ll go to the dealer for the fluid change. These are too hard to change on your own.

GM really F’d this up. The 8L90 is crappy. Hopefully the 10 Speed is better for folks.

Wonder if this one blows if they’d put the 10 Speed in? Might have to work with them on that.... hope I won’t need to.

I’d like to keep this for 150-200k, but not sure if that makes financial sense with this track record so far.

Bardog

Reaction score
My 2015 got a new factory transmission installed at 14k.

It was clicking, clunking and shifting badly.

The new one doesn’t click, but still clunks sometime and I cringe thinking of how it’s eating up the rest of the drivetrain components as it does it....

I’ve had software updates and it’s no better.

Also takes a few seconds to engage reverse on cold starts in the morning- if I don’t wait with my foot on the brakes, it bangs really hard.

I love this truck, but for the price, it should be smooth shifting and NOT need a whole new trans, which isn’t much better. At 60k- will be 45k on the new trans, I’ll go to the dealer for the fluid change. These are too hard to change on your own.

GM really F’d this up. The 8L90 is crappy. Hopefully the 10 Speed is better for folks.

Wonder if this one blows if they’d put the 10 Speed in? Might have to work with them on that.... hope I won’t need to.

I’d like to keep this for 150-200k, but not sure if that makes financial sense with this track record so far.

I'm beginning to get nervous about the transmission and possible issues I might have with the 2016 Yukon Denali I just purchased and am picking up at the end of the month... It only has 14k miles but it sounds like low mileage isn't a safeguard against these transmission issues. Crossing fingers... Seems that it's luck of the draw whether or not the 2015.5-2017 8-speed trans is going to be a problem, and not just when cutting off 4 cylinders, but also at low RPMs and speeds. Is the general consensus just that - that some 8-speeds are just plain problematic, and that some of them work just fine?

Thanks for all the great posts on here. I'm really looking forward to owning my first Denali, but I'm apprehensive about what troubles lie ahead.
I've rented several Tahoes and Suburbans since the 2015 makeover, and I never noticed these issues. I even had a loaner '15 Tahoe for a month and was perfectly comfortable in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts