2017 Tahoe - Under Performing Sound with Factory Head unit + Aftermarket Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not scientist but I am sure that a ohm meter does not send high voltage thru anything, a very low voltage is used to calculate what is called ohm's law, I have as well as thousands of others have tested very sensitive speakers and other electronics without ever damaging them.
The batteries that power most DMM's are 9 volt, some are less, more like 3. And I have seen people blow their speakers as a result.

I guess I call this one a draw. Check the impedance (not ohms, to be precise) at your own risk.

OP
OP
aggmeister2010
Reaction score
The batteries that power most DMM's are 9 volt, some are less, more like 3. And I have seen people blow their speakers as a result.

I guess I call this one a draw. Check the impedance (not ohms, to be precise) at your own risk.

I measured the impedance on the factory non-bose speakers this morning. 4 ohms.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

somebody must have done something wrong, ohm's is the measurement of impedance one in the same I guess. :)

boosting1bar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

If someone blew their speaker with a multimeter they're a f'n idiot and shouldn't have been using it in the first place.

Also I imagine the speakers were already blown and they blamed it on the multimeter, you're not going to blow anything by checking impedance.

OP
OP
aggmeister2010
Reaction score
Ok, so I think we've covered the "be careful when testing electronics aspect." Back to the topic at hand.

The impedence for the factory non-bose door speakers is 4 ohms.
The factory non-bose head unit puts out ~15W per channel, 30W max. This means that most aftermarket speakers will require an amp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26