2017 GMC Yukon fog light issue...LED vs Halogen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really feel dumb, am I missing something here on how the Halogen bulbs take a LED replacement???
Everything posted says 5202, but the factory Halogen bulb has no 5202 markings on it and they both have completely different mounting positions???

Attached is the photo of my factory Halogen Fog light from my 2017 GMC Yukon XL SLT, and next to it is the LED replacement lights I ordered to swap them out, and the LED light does not lock into the fog light housing at all???

Am I doing something wrong here...feeling kind of stupid at the moment...any help, tips, or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

20180517_140434.jpg 20180517_140440.jpg

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm unsure, but I know my 2018 Tahoe needed PSX26W bulbs...I had to take a picture of the factory bulb writing using my phone and then enlarging it using my phone to find out the bulb type because the writing was so tiny.

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm unsure, but I know my 2018 Tahoe needed PSX26W bulbs...I had to take a picture of the factory bulb writing using my phone and then enlarging it using my phone to find out the bulb type because the writing was so tiny.

Thanks for replying...honestly still baffled as everything says use 5202 and that is what I got, but they are totally different. Been doing the Youtube search for installation etc...Nothing shows the actual LED light that is being installed, or how it locks into the fog light housing, only for the early trucks up to 2014.

Totally strange, and there seems to be so many here that have LED fogs

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure there's no writing on the sides of the factory bulb (black part of the bulb)? That's where mine said the bulb size.I attached my bulb

20180517_172216.jpg

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure there's no writing on the sides of the factory bulb (black part of the bulb)? That's where mine said the bulb size.I attached my bulb

View attachment 199631
So that bulb there looks identical to my OE bulb that I took the picture of with the LED replacement that I received and your and mine look like the same bulb, but how in the heck does that replacement LED go into the fog light housing??? I rotated and pushed etc?? Like I said, feeling a bit dumb at the moment!

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured out, the bulb is a PSX26w, this is not the same as a 5202, there is a PSX26 LED bulb that has the configuration with the fan, but it uses a rotating locking position to the housing, not the snap style. Everywhere out there it says use 5202, but that is not at all the correct one for this model year application.
Going to order the PSX26 ones and will update when complete.
Thanks tool2269 for your help

tool2269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that bulb there looks identical to my OE bulb that I took the picture of with the LED replacement that I received and your and mine look like the same bulb, but how in the heck does that replacement LED go into the fog light housing??? I rotated and pushed etc?? Like I said, feeling a bit dumb at the moment!

I purchased a PSX26W led bulb from Amazon and it fit perfectly. Then I just attached the wire.

Link to bulb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M1XQ52H?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

OP
OP
4OFFSHR

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update; received in the PSX26 LED fog lights and they fit perfect! Took some pics, hopefully this is useful for any of the other members, it was baffling for me that most of the research for the model all said the light was a 5202, so not sure if earlier models took this and they changed in 17? My truck was a late 17 production, so not sure if some 17's and 18 models are different? Either way, the LED fogs are so much nicer and match the LED lighting for the headlights low and high. Thanks for the help and input tool2269!

20180523_131154.jpg 20180523_130646.jpg 20180523_112747.jpg

PaulNY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great write up and thanks! I am getting ready to order the lights from Amazon, but I have a stupid question. Is this simply a plug and play fix, or is there some wiring, cutting, etc. to do? I am not an electrical guy, but I can't imagine this is very difficult to do? Lastly, on the Amazon site, it doesn't specify if the $30.21 price is for one light or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout