2017 GMC Denali..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question.....on take off(from a stop position) is there a delay feel to it when you hit the gas, where it feels like its just not taking off right away and waiting a few seconds to finally pick up?

Test drove one and was curious if it was just me as I am used to my 06 Duramax taking off right when I hit the pedal or is it an issue with the Denali I test drove?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my 13 hoe was new it used to feel like that.... turning off afm and spaying the the tb w/some cleaner reduced it dramatically

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty normal and you'd get used to it. The best way to tell if it's not normal is to go drive a different one.

I'm almost certain that it's for fuel economy. It could benefit from a sport mode to sharpen throttle response but there's not one so the next best thing is a tuner.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Yes there is.

It would be acceptable if the engine had a start/stop function but alas it doesn't and it's just another 'unique characteristic' of these beloved vehicles.

I've learned to tap the throttle slightly before I want to actually 'go'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the couple of latest gens that I've detailed, in moving them around and such, I've noticed that switching gears it lags. It doesn't roll right away when you switch gears and want to move. Not like my 2006 where I switch gears and it immediately wants to roll.

hunter991

Reaction score
I have the same thing on my 17 tahoe. I was told its to improve MPG. Eliminates jack rabbit accel from a dead stop.

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had my new truck 2 weeks but seems like there is a "miss" when accelerating slowly from a stop. Right after I start to go it seems like the truck will go from 1st and then have a delay while it immediately goes to 2nd gear. I assume that is from the 8 speed. The dash doesn't say it is in V4 mode while it is doing this.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What your feeling is related to the AFM (active fuel management) programming. Get a Range Technology AFM Disabler and hesitation is gone.