2017 Denali, any issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The big kahuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently traded in a nightmarish 2007 suburban ltz that had suspension and electrical issues for a 2012 Acura MDX for my wife. My lesson from the suburban is never buy a new model year vehicle. Wit that said I'm in the market for a 2017 Denali. I'm 6'6 250lbs so I need a large suv. I've been researching and read of horror stories with the 2015 and 2016 gm trucks from buffeting to vibrations with little to no assistance from GM. So my question is does anyone have the 2017 Denali and has all the problems been fixed. I was considering a 17 suburban ltz but for pennies more I'd rather the 6.2 engine and better amenities and the Escalade is to "blingy" for my liking. Any help would be great

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What better amenities would you get with the Denali over the Premier? Active noise cancellation and the 6.2?

No, GM has not resolved the issues. There are active threads on here about it. No need to start a new thread asking the same crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Star

Reaction score
We just bought two '17 Denali's. Zero buffeting issues on either one. Also own a '15 Tahoe with no buffeting issues.

Honestly never heard of the problem until I started to follow this site again. Feel bad for those that have the problem guess we have been lucky.

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 5000 on a '17 Denali XL...taking it in tomorrow for first oil change, tire rotation and solve a small rattle in the Right rear seat. Love it, no other issues and would strongly recommend. It's my 3rd Denali and 5th Yukon.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been "fixed' go test drive a few, you'll know right away if you're sensitive to the issue or not

I have felt it in every single 15-17, now well over 50 different trucks, some are really bad and some are very minor but is there

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It hasn't been "fixed' go test drive a few, you'll know right away if you're sensitive to the issue or not

I have felt it in every single 15-17, now well over 50 different trucks, some are really bad and some are very minor but is there
Not on mine and I'm picky about how smooth it rides. To the point of making sure a wheel balancer is calibrated before it balances my wheels. I'm sure many of the issues are improperly balanced tires.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score

agreed...it's not about being picky or not, you either feel it or you don't. Unless it's extremely bad, I'm starting to think it all comes down to whether or not people are sensitive to it. I have a neighbor with a 16 and details his truck weekly, always keeps it garaged, swaps wheels in the winter, etc. and I've had a few conversations with him regarding the issue and he told me the same...never had the problem...drives smooth, etc. Well, I asked to take it for a drive and sure enough...49mph and 65mph boom...fluttering, buffeting, ear pressure, etc. started. And at the same time he tells me he doesn't notice or feel it.

I have four kids and with our 15 XL, half of us are affected while the other half don't even know what we're talking about when complaining. constant ear popping and unbalanced pressure feeling is the main feeling.

It's a major issue and GM is aware of it with no answer to date. The only thing that makes it somewhat acceptable is road forcing each wheel to super low numbers and make sure there are no other input affecting the chassis.

The issue has been well documented and going on since 2014, especially on different sites.

Last edited:

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I have someone around the area with the problem. I don't feel jack brother. I know is a truck and my family knows is truck. We put on some hip hop and backspin flavo... pump up the bass. We don't hear nothing and we ride ******* the weekends for basketball tournaments.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I have someone around the area with the problem. I don't feel jack brother. I know is a truck and my family knows is truck. We put on some hip hop and backspin flavo... pump up the bass. We don't hear nothing and we ride ******* the weekends for basketball tournaments.

I hear ya...it's not so much a "sound" as it is a feeling. I can crank the tunes, use headphones, etc. the pressure feeling is still there just like when drastically changing elevations when driving up/down mountain terrain or when flying. Except at certain speeds the sensation will stay constant and cause ear popping and headaches.

There's a 175 page thread on a different forum regarding the known issue.

I haven't been in too many 17s but I've been in a lot of 15/16 models (yukon, burb, esky) and they all had the issue to some degree. If I knew the '17s were fixed, I'd be trading in our 15 tomorrow. It sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan