2016 Yukon SLE > Adding factory wireless charging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I think you could, but the point is to make it OEM, so when your phone is charging, it shows up on the dash radio to show status.......which is what the factory installed option would do in operation......that is ultimately why I asked.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the the amazing images! Now I know where to look! I'm ordering the service manual from helminc on 4/11 when they are due, so I'll be able to do more research and see what's really what......especially the power missing to the connector. Thanks to all for contributing!

Chris

Rmayrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont bother. its slow as shit to charge and most phones now are too big to fit inside the tray anyway.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
I have done the same but i just ordered the charging module and the harness wire. After installing the module in the center console lid and connecting it to the exciting wire in the back of center console i find out that no power comes to that wire. Maybe because the fuse dont exist since the car doesn't come with wireless charging option.
Tried to locate the fuse in fusebox but no luck.

20170322_132954-jpg.77400

So resurrecting this because I have some feedback as I just today got to opening up the back and removing the trim panel to see what's what.

I got my service manuals about a week ago and having an SLE truck without it factory set up for wireless charging, I do not have this connector back there being pointed to. I only have 3 wire harness breakouts, one for the 120V inverter, one for the 12V cig lighter/ass and one for the rear climate, nothing else or even a hint of being able to add it.

I suppose I could buy a replacement harness, but that is a lot of work to take out the seat, dismantle the console and rework it.

So I guess for now, wireless for me anyway, is off the table.

Hope this helps someone.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have wireless charging on the center console but I use iphone. I've heard the next version of iphone may have it. Hopefully it will work with Android wireless chargers but kind of doubt apple will cooperate like that. On the other hand, apple car play doesn't work unless the phone is plugged into USB (and charging).

I have 2016 Tahoe and iPhone 7plus with a q charger case from Groupon $13.00. New mat from a non charging Tahoe. Works great. I have to lay the right side in to the nat and slide it to the back.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
The 7's typically work, I guess lots of people are having issues with the 8s and 8+s....the 2018 version moved to a 3 coil design to solve the issue.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inductive charging on my 2016 Tahoe LTZ takes approx three times longer to charge my phone (Droid Turbo 2) than does a cable plugged into USB port.

Not only that, but if Im using Google maps while on inductive charger, there is a net loss of power as I drive. That is to say, Google Maps consumes power faster than the charger can replace it.

The inductive charger is kinda neat, but it fails in real-world applications.

OP
OP
Kittmaster

Kittmaster

Reaction score
How do you project Google maps while inductive charging?? Or are you just using it on the phone screen while it wirelessly charges to see the net result you mention?

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7's typically work, I guess lots of people are having issues with the 8s and 8+s....the 2018 version moved to a 3 coil design to solve the issue.

Yes, the 2018 version is better. It can be swapped in and made to work in earlier models with an adapter pigtail from pgamboa (he frequents another forum). The 2018 connector to the charging module is different.

Although, you’d still have to address getting power/ground back there if the console harness doesn’t have provisions for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy