2016 Suburban LT Fog Lamps install with OEM switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian80

Reaction score
I started this project today, and I have noticed that although I DO have a Blue w/Grey wire behind the headlight switch, it is not PIN 6, i.e. just left of the green wire as shown in the original pics. Mine is a '16 LT

I have the same situation like yours, ended up runing a wire through the firewall and installing my own switch. It was faster and easier.

Christian80

Reaction score
0xF16, I would say meter it and see if it tests the same. From the schematics, I see that there are two Blue/Gray wires for the fog lamp circuit, one in pin 6, the other in pin 10. FWIW, pin 6 goes to pin 12 of the BCM and pin 10 goes to pin 15 of the BCM (both wires/pins in connector X1 of the BCM). My guess is that one Blue/Gray is for "front" fogs, and the other is for "rear" fogs--but both likely test the same--when you press the fog switch in.

Semantics-wise, pin 6 appears to be the rear fog lamp request, pin 10 appears to be the front lamp request--but both appear to be closed by the same button press ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I don't think the front and rear fog lights are activated by tge same switch, or at least not together.
Rear fog light is mandatory only in Europe from what I know and usually there are two separate switches if yhe vehicle is equiped with front fog lights also.

Christian80

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see any replies until this morning.

Dip switches should be set as follows:
1 - Doesn't matter
2 - OFF, Normally Open (default)
3 - OFF, Latched (default)
4 - ON, (-) input (default)

so basically, leave them alone.

The dial also doesn't apply here since it's only used when dip 3 is ON, same reason dip 1 doesn't apply.

Is there a wire that only gets power with the engine on or with the low beam on that I can use to power my aditional switch for the fog lights?

Thanks

OP
OP
nilleo

nilleo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think the front and rear fog lights are activated by tge same switch, or at least not together.
Rear fog light is mandatory only in Europe from what I know and usually there are two separate switches if yhe vehicle is equiped with front fog lights also.

It's definitely the same switch assembly in the body builder's schematic for both front and rear fog lamps at least for our US models ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Is there a wire that only gets power with the engine on or with the low beam on that I can use to power my aditional switch for the fog lights?

Thanks

For a low beams signal inside the truck--If you have halogens, yellow at the BCM, plug X4, pins 1 and 2 go out to the low beams (12V when on). If you have HID, it's still yellow at the BCM, but in connector X1, pins A2 and C2.

For switched ignition or accessory--there are tons of sources all over, I'd say check out the body builder's manual to see which one would be more convenient to you.

Javaso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. Just spend the afternoon today with a friend installing this set up and didn't work. Verified wire connections and are the same as explained at the forum. Applied direct current and fog lights turned on. All the other lights are working with new oem switch. My guess is something with the 611T. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
nilleo

nilleo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Best suggestion I have is to pull out a multimeter and see where the break in the chain is. Start at the switch, verify that the you see ground there when you press it (or lose voltage). Then move on to the 611T and verify that it's turning on, then go under the hood, if you put a relay there, make sure it's getting the signal from the 611T. You should be able to trace the problem somewhere in all that.

Christian80

Reaction score
It's definitely the same switch assembly in the body builder's schematic for both front and rear fog lamps at least for our US models ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

For a low beams signal inside the truck--If you have halogens, yellow at the BCM, plug X4, pins 1 and 2 go out to the low beams (12V when on). If you have HID, it's still yellow at the BCM, but in connector X1, pins A2 and C2.

For switched ignition or accessory--there are tons of sources all over, I'd say check out the body builder's manual to see which one would be more convenient to you.

I don't have the service manual but will use the low beam wire, have halogens, LT. I have yet to see a Suburban in USA with rear fog lights, maybe Canada has them.

Thanks for help.

OxF16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hooked mine up as described, and they work. The key being making sure you are using the correctly colored wire in the correct location. The only hiccup I currently have is that sometimes when you remote start the car, or simply unlock it, i.e. anything the makes the parking lamps flash... then theres a chance the fogs will come on. And in my case, Rigid SR-Q2's with a crazy bright spot beam. As a result, I may change the 611T to a positive output, and setup the relay for positive connection vs negative. Unless someone else has a quick fix.

Javaso

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did all the wiring and when we conected the fog lights wire to the brown, coming out of the fuse box under the hood, the running lights and fog lights turns on, even disconnecting the switch. Have verified all connections and don't know what is causing this. Need help.