2016 rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyansTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jus tfound this thread and have the exact same issue with my brand new 2017 Tahoe Premier. Took to dealer and they said it was normal...so here I am trying to find a solution myself.

Fred_e81 - any updates on your end?

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RyansTahoe--
After the motor is warmed up---
At a full stop--
Just add about 100 to 200 RPM and let me know if the shaking stops.

thanks!
Bob

RyansTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RyansTahoe--
After the motor is warmed up---
At a full stop--
Just add about 100 to 200 RPM and let me know if the shaking stops.

thanks!
Bob

Yes it will stop vibrating if I put in neutral or leave in gear and give it some gas.

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am convinced that the low RPM is causing the motor to vibrate because of ????.
Cylinder deactivation??
Fuel pump problems? This area might be discarded as an individual at the start of this conversation did have a pump replaced.
The dreaded "fuel pump ticking" has finally killed something someplace?
Who knows???

Now if the dealers would only touch up the idle I am also convinced that the problem would be solved.

Any GM types listening?

be safe.
Bob

Mark L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is how GM addressed my 2016 Suburban Rough Idle

Dear Mark
Per your request, here is a summary of the final resolution for your 2016 Chevrolet Suburban, case number 8-3067935080.

The vehicle is operating as design this is a normal characteristic. With the vehicles with the VLOM engine . I do apologize that this is normal there is no fix .

Chevrolet does review each customer’s concern on an individual basis. All the facts in your situation were carefully considered, and we have determined that this decision is appropriate given the details of your case.

Regards,
Mary
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Phone Number: 1-866-790-5700
Extension Number: 5921467

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark--
Your post is EXACTLY what the assistant service manager at my dealership told me.
He also told me--
Get an aftermarket tune to raise the idle RPM 100 or 200 RPM. We are unable to do it because of emission regulations.

Wow.
Thanks GM.
I bought my first new GM product in 1968. (Yes--I'm OLD.)
My truck has been at the dealer's for over 60 days for one problem or another in two years of ownership.
This 2015 Tahoe is my last GM. Period.

GM--Can you say "Buy back." because this guy has been a long time GM owner?

Be safe.
Bob

Mark L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is how GM addressed my 2016 Suburban Rough Idle

Dear Mark
Per your request, here is a summary of the final resolution for your 2016 Chevrolet Suburban, case number 8-3067935080.

The vehicle is operating as design this is a normal characteristic. With the vehicles with the VLOM engine . I do apologize that this is normal there is no fix .

Chevrolet does review each customer’s concern on an individual basis. All the facts in your situation were carefully considered, and we have determined that this decision is appropriate given the details of your case.

Regards,
Mary
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Phone Number: 1-866-790-5700
Extension Number: 5921467
Mark--
Your post is EXACTLY what the assistant service manager at my dealership told me.
He also told me--
Get an aftermarket tune to raise the idle RPM 100 or 200 RPM. We are unable to do it because of emission regulations.

Wow.
Thanks GM.
I bought my first new GM product in 1968. (Yes--I'm OLD.)
My truck has been at the dealer's for over 60 days for one problem or another in two years of ownership.
This 2015 Tahoe is my last GM. Period.

GM--Can you say "Buy back." because this guy has been a long time GM owner?

Be safe.
Bob
Bob,
I'm sure there is a fix, GM just doesn't want to "mess" with it. I'm like you, have driven Chevys for many years. Can't believe we spend that much money on a vehicle to have it miss and shake at the stop lights. The lady I dealt with had no clue as to the mechanical workings of their product, all she is is a glorified note taker for GM. If you read her statement, she can't even write complete legible sentences. I'm not done yet. I'm looking into legal action and a complaint with the NTSA.

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark--
I'm await your updates.
Fight the good fight.

Be safe.
Bob

Tally2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was experiencing the same rough idle in my 16 Tahoe. I took it in and both motor mounts replaced and still rough idle just not as bad.

Now, this is how they fixed it, the tech loosing both engine mounts and tranny mount a bit drove it around the block and then came back and re-torque to factory specs. Then installed their vibration sensor to read the car in idle on driver side floor board. Now, my Tahoe idles like butter. You can barely even feel it running now.

Geri Martin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get to a satisfactory resolution on this? I've had my 2016 Tahoe in 4 times now for this issue. They kept if for a week on the third try and told me that it still wasn't fixed. Magically on the 4th repair attempt, when the lemon law kicks in for my state, I'm told that its 'within the range of normality'. From what I've seen on here, I'm not the only person who doesn't accept this as normal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01