2016 Chevy Tahoe Police Package Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZPerry

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have some questions hopefully someone can help me out with. Last year I purchased a 2016 Chevy Tahoe Police Package brand new. They come with a pursuit suspension package and its a pretty rough ride. You feel every bump because the suspension is real tight and it sits lower to the ground. Im curious how hard it would be to change out the suspension to just a regular stock ride suspension. Also what parts would need to be swapped out and around how much would it cost. Ill attach a few photos of the Tahoe, I've since swapped out the 17 inch wheels to some stock 20 inch chevy wheels. Thanks for any help.

IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2732.JPG IMG_2965.jpg IMG_2707.jpg IMG_2708.jpg

16ppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe RC45 can chime in?
Very nice! I'd imagine going to 20's from 17 might have even made more bumpy. I have the same issue on my 16. Dealer told me 4K to replace to standard suspension ..ugg

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post your questions in for sale ,for trade section , I'm 100% sure someone will like to trade stock suspension with PPV one .

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably check and see if you can get a Bilstein or Eibach shocks and springs.

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my '13.....super harsh ride. Same with my '17, but I'm not screwing with it until the warranty is expired. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to soften the ride up.

Buy a set of four Bilstein 5100 shocks, and swap those in for the factory shocks. Job done. You'll notice a world of difference in comfort, and it'll still handle well.

DOUBLE CHECK THIS BEFORE YOU BUY, but I believe you need two of each of these:

FRONT:
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-...UTF8&qid=1534740965&sr=1-1&keywords=24-251976

REAR:
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-24-...UTF8&qid=1534740943&sr=1-1&keywords=24-251778

Last edited:

Steve Kincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I looked at the Bilsten website they dont make shocks for the PPV and if you look up LS there is a note saying not for police package.
I was looking up shocks for a 2015 PPV

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced all of my suspension parts (front struts and springs, rear shocks, front strut mounts and spring seats), about $600. Installation would be about $450. The PPV parts seem to be more expensive, so $4000 seems a little high, but maybe I’m missing something? The rear springs are the same as standard Tahoe springs, so those are cheap.

Steve Kincaid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently just bought a 2015 PPV and had it looked over at a local shop because it wouldn’t pass state inspection. There were so many error codes.
Anyway they also said it needed new ball joints, about $1600. They too were surprised to learn you can’t just replace the ball joints, on PPV apparently it’s part of the suspension and they are a lot beefer than the standard Tahoe. Still not happy about having to rebuild the front suspension when I just got this thing. Anyone else near the Austin area do this themselves?

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost sucks. I like my PPV but thinking about selling it and picking up a suburban. Nice, big, cozy.
Maybe I’ll list here or eBay and see if get any takers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons