2015i Yukon XL Denali - Stutter, Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 11k miles on it. For the last 10k miles it has stuttered during acceleration. It's fine if I really get on the throttle but in normal acceleration it stutters. It's almost like it has a miss. I have also noticed a decline in my gas mileage. It has gotten more severe with more miles. Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts? Going to the dealer next week but I am guessing I will have better luck here. Thank you.

NOVA99

Reaction score
There is a recall for Torque Converter Clutch Shudder. I have 8K on mine and it is going in next week for a service and recall update. I just posted 19.1MPG on 3500 mile road trip and do not believe my vehicle is experiencing this. You are not confusing it with cylinder deactivation?

For reference: This bulletin 15389 provides a service procedure to reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) on certain 2015 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali and Yukon Denali XL vehicles equipped with an 8L90 8-Speed (M5U) transmission and 6.2L (L86) engine. These vehicles may have a condition in which transmission calibration allows a higher than target energy input to the torque converter clutch (TCC) under certain conditions. This may lead to faster than expected torque converter clutch material wear, and a shudder feeling when the TCC is applied."

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already had that update done. I didn't notice any difference.

I was getting about 18mpg and now I'm getting 16mpg.

I'm not sure if that issue is related or not. The mpg issue is new the last 2k miles or so. The stutter/hesitation has been going on since shortly after I got the vehicle. It slowly gets worse.

paulb55

Reaction score
We have the 8spd....I had the same issue. We just go ours back with a new tranny. problem gone.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So over the weekend I bought two trucks for my sons. 2015 GMC Sierra SLT with the smaller 8 cylinder motor. Guess what..... After a few days of driving they both do the same thing. My dealer just keeps telling me it's normal. No other vehicle I have owned has ever done this including my last Yukon Denali.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best we have in California is 91 octane. That's what I use.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump. Anyone else have this problem?

Groucho

Reaction score
Mine does it from time to time. I have less than 1,000 miles on it so I'm hoping it will go away. I'm going to ask about the recall though.

ChevyheadVT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a 2016 Yukon with the 6sp trans. I have the same problem. There is a definite stutter/hesitation when I accelerate (not slight...very noticeable). I don't notice it during heavy acceleration, typically during a slow acceleration, most notably once I am in second gear (2nd gear, low RPM, engine under load). It's very noticeable when accelerating up a hill or trailering. First trip to the dealer was at about 400 miles. Tech said he didn't notice it - no work performed. Second trip was at 800 miles, I pushed to go for a ride with the tech. During that ride he noticed the issue (although the issue wasn't as bad of course since the tech was sitting in the car). He said he was going to do some research. End result was that they wanted to see if the transmission Active Sync (or whatever the transmission "learn" mode is called) would rectify the problem and that they would follow up at my first oil change. I took that as they have no idea what the issue is and unless GM puts out a service bulletin on it, they aren't going to try to chase down the cause. Meanwhile I have a hefty payment on a vehicle that isn't working properly. Any suggestions? Would a call to GM do any good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts