2015 Yukon Xl Wont Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orangeapple405

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife drives our 2015 Yukon XL SLE 4x4. It has push button ignition, and 60,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago, she called and said it would not start. Roadside met her and jumped it and worked just fine. We had the mechanic and Autozone both test the battery and alternator and nothing was found. A week later, yesterday, it wouldn’t start again. When I tried to start it, it made a loud clicking noise throughout the vehicle (not the starter clicking) and the lights blinked off and on. There were several messages that came up but the “service theft Deterrent” was noticed the most. I jumped it and turned it off and on and couple of times and just fine.

This am, I tried to start it again same problem. I put it on the charger and it was down to 10% battery. I charged for a couple of hours and it was at 67% .I then unplugged the charger, jiggled the battery cables, checked the battery connections and then plugged the charger back in. The charger was now showing 100% charge, (which was strange because before I unplugged it, it was at 67%???) so, of course it started up again. I ran it for a 20 mins or so then turned it off and on again a few times and check the battery charger and it showed 95%.

Onstar can’t find anything. Ive tried both of our key fobs no noticeable difference.

The messages it flashed up:

Side detection system unavailable

Steering lock column

Theft deterant system

Battery low start vehicle

Battery saver

Remote left in vehicle

Service battery charging system

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack??? Any suggestions much appreciated!

Lori cruz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife drives our 2015 Yukon XL SLE 4x4. It has push button ignition, and 60,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago, she called and said it would not start. Roadside met her and jumped it and worked just fine. We had the mechanic and Autozone both test the battery and alternator and nothing was found. A week later, yesterday, it wouldn’t start again. When I tried to start it, it made a loud clicking noise throughout the vehicle (not the starter clicking) and the lights blinked off and on. There were several messages that came up but the “service theft Deterrent” was noticed the most. I jumped it and turned it off and on and couple of times and just fine.

This am, I tried to start it again same problem. I put it on the charger and it was down to 10% battery. I charged for a couple of hours and it was at 67% .I then unplugged the charger, jiggled the battery cables, checked the battery connections and then plugged the charger back in. The charger was now showing 100% charge, (which was strange because before I unplugged it, it was at 67%???) so, of course it started up again. I ran it for a 20 mins or so then turned it off and on again a few times and check the battery charger and it showed 95%.

Onstar can’t find anything. Ive tried both of our key fobs no noticeable difference.

The messages it flashed up:

Steering lock column

Theft deterant system

Battery low start vehicle

Battery saver

Remote left in vehicle

Service battery charging system

Am I looking for a needle in a haystack??? Any suggestions much appreciated!

So did you find out what was wrong? Having trouble with mine now. Same

Northstardan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got around 60000 on mine and doing the same thing. It seems when I press the brake a few times it will eventually go. It’s like a dead bat but mine is showing full charge. But I get all the same symptoms, lites and loud clicking noise. Has anyone figured out the prob. ??

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got around 60000 on mine and doing the same thing. It seems when I press the brake a few times it will eventually go. It’s like a dead bat but mine is showing full charge. But I get all the same symptoms, lites and loud clicking noise. Has anyone figured out the prob. ??

Try a new battery, trust me...

trmccoy34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but my 2015 LTZ Tahoe is doing the same thing right now. Has any one figured out a fix for this?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but my 2015 LTZ Tahoe is doing the same thing right now. Has any one figured out a fix for this?
dead cell in battery, replace battery, while doing so clean the cable connectors with wire brush.
**presuming reported issue is identical to original thread report.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one show a full charge 12v+, but it had ZERO amperage wouldn't even unlock the doors, if you tried to do anything it would instantly die to 5v, then 5 minutes on a charger it showed full charge again. did it right out of the blue, drove it to the store, was in the store a few minutes came out bad battery. just like that! battery wasn't even 6 months old

trmccoy34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can go out to my Tahoe (has the electric step option) after it has set for a few hours, and unlock the door with the passive button. The 1st sign that something is wrong is the steps won’t come down. Get in and push the start button and I just get a click, and hear a faint sound, like the rear suspension pump is running at a very slow speed. Then the service theft light, service suspension, service side detection, steering column lock, service front camera messages appear. Then everything will go dark and do nothing for a few minutes. I can keep pushing the start button, pumping the brakes, whatever I want and it won’t do anything. Then for some unknown reason, after about 8-10 minutes the truck will start up. When it does start all of the messages go away, but for about 1 minute the interior lights brighten and dim and the gauges do some funky things. The steps go up and down like they’re supposed to. I can drive it around, go to the store and turn it off, come back and it’ll start right up. But if it sits for a couple of hours it will start doing the same thing again.

I’ve tried both key fobs and put them both in the little cubby in the console. Unhooked the negative battery cable for 30 minutes and then put it back. That reset everything, but the condition came right back.

At this point I’m thinking it’s either the battery or BCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9